ch-47 chinooks?

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
They go past our house on an almost daily basis, through our backyard and
sometimes low and close enough that they wake up my sleeping daughter. Almost always in a southwest or northeast direction so we're assuming they are coming from or going to ft dix but aren't sure what is southwest of us.

It's usually only one, every now and again there are two. It used to be pretty infrequently, maybe once or twice a month if that but now it's almost daily. Just wondering if anyone had any info. We're in the Mullica Hill area.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Salem City here, and i see them also, one or two at a time. If i had to guess they are coming from Deleware as when i see them they are usually going NE or SW

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
It is my understanding that the Chinooks are manufactured, repaired and rebuilt at Boeing Vertol in Ridley Park, Delaware County, PA. They also maintain hanger space at the Phila. International Airport along Island Rd. They come into NJ for testing and to see how they are operating after work has been completed on the craft. There are airports that they can use in NJ if something goes wrong or if they need to land for any reason. That part of NJ is less populated than Delaware County and that is why they come here. They have been doing this since the 1960's. If you are seeing many of them that may be good for the workforce. There have been times where production was almost at a standstill. Many years ago they had some space at the old Bridgeport Airport on Rt 322. I use to fly out of there and we would see them all the time. Their pilots are very capable.