Coal stoves

sandmaneo

Nov 21, 2010
Little Egg Harbor
Are they still open?

I just had a friend of mine give me a large Pine Barren wood stove. Lee(the very interesting man who built pine barren stoves) said it is called a Coal Barren and it will burn both wood or coal. I was just gonna burn wood in it. When i stopped to Pine barren stove shop to get a couple of fire bricks it needed, Lee gave me a bag of coal. He said to try it to see if i liked it. Well......Im hooked. I can put 40lbs of coal in it and i dont need to mess with it for at least another 12 hours!!! I was just wondering if anyone else around here has this stove and if anyone still burns coal.

Is the Pine Barren Stove Co. still open? I am moving into a home that has one of these installed.. Just want to see if I can get some info on the stove..

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My Grandfather was a coal miner in Southern Illinois and everyone around there burned coal. I still remember the smell from when I visited as a kid. I will stick to burning wood myself. :)

sandmaneo

Nov 21, 2010
Little Egg Harbor
No , I just wanted to get info on my stove

My Grandfather was a coal miner in Southern Illinois and everyone around there burned coal. I still remember the smell from when I visited as a kid. I will stick to burning wood myself. :)

I would not really like to use coal, I just want some info on the stove. That is why i was wondering if they are still open? I want to burn wood in it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, I understand and sorry that I can't help you with that. But the title of the thread is "coal stoves" and that just brought back some memories...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Growing up, the house we lived in was heated by HW radiators fueled by coal. I still recall the delivery method; 2 men hauling the coal in canvas shoulder bags through the alley and spilling it onto a chute through the basement windows into the basement bins, hard or soft coal. That was many, many moons ago :)

jscorio

Nov 8, 2012
Lee is great. My fiance bought a stove from Lee several years ago and we use it all winter long. It is so efficient and worth it and Lee is awesome. We were out there this week and he is still going strong. He is 72 now and still working hard. He has unfortunately been diagnosed with cancer but is not letting it get to him. If your going to get a stove, Lee is the man to get it from, you won't be disappointed. Say some prayers for him, let's keep him making stoves and doing what he loves as long as we can.