Nothing is sacred anymore

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Most of you know the little sweetwater run that flows into Webb's Mill Brook. The one that is crossed on the road to bamber, and the one that gentleman had photos of for his movie? Went by there today, and someone went in about 10 yards and chopped down one of the nice cedars that grows right in the center of the stream. And left it there. For apparantly no reason. This kind of act just leaves me numb anymore.

IMG_6770_1.jpg

IMG_6766_1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Somewhat similar to the person who was cutting all the trees near the Forked River Mountains. Sorry to see that Bob!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I almost had to call one of my friends today. I was in deep by myself on my bike in the West Plains. Where the Plains branch crosses this one track, I inched into it too slowly. The ice was about 5/8" thick. The front wheel broke through and the wheel went in to the hub in soft clay. This bike weighs over 300 pounds, and I paid hell trying to pull it out backwards. My feet were slipping on the ice and it took me almost 20 minutes of inching it back. Then it would not start (electric start only). I was about to call someone when I realized that in pulling it back I flipped the cutoff switch by accident. Glad I found that before calling! You never know when the pines are going to throw you a curve ball. Always happens because I do not think before acting.

Plainsstuck.png

IMG_6734.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Can you pushstart it? I remember the Suzuki TM's always had broken kickstarts and you had to pushstart them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I knew something would happen when you called me today. I walked around thinking that my car was 20 miles away from me at the time.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Can you pushstart it? I remember the Suzuki TM's always had broken kickstarts and you had to pushstart them.

I could have, and was planning to....was walking it up a slight incline when I realized the kill switch was off.

Guy, this happened before I called you. I went on to the back side of Spring Hill and decided that I should call.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
I have a 07 DRZ that has a kill switch with a detent in it. I would sometimes hit it by accident and shut the bike off in whooped out trail! Definately not fun when that happens! I took the switch apart and removed the detent so it wont stay off if accidentaly pushed in. I think we've all been there with the on off switch!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob
A true explorer never lets safety or caution get in the way of finding out whats around the bend.Just hope your cell works,theres enough of us here to come get you out if you can reach us:) I haven't had to be rescued from the pines since maybe the late 80's or early 90's but Theres always the chance.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was hiking around Webbs Mill this afternoon and came across more trees that have been chopped down. I'm surprised Bobpbx didn't come across these in his adventures. At the end of JC Road, someone went to town and chopped down thirty or so trees.

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

There were more, but these two photographs get the point across. Several were large pines with just the beginning of a V-cut in them. The cuts are from a hand ax. Sound familiar?

BTW - We found what was being used.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
It may be a pain kick starting my old Honda, but at least it won't leave you stranded if the battery dies. Jump starting is nearly impossible in sugar sand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hope your truck is in a garage. You may not have windows tomorrow.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I hope your truck is in a garage. You may not have windows tomorrow.

Guy

No, I have a driveway. The neighborhood I live in is quiet, very little happens here and there isn't much thru traffic. I live on the border of Trenton and Hamilton. However, a mile down the road...Zikes!

Thanks Tee, you planted that seed in my head - now I have to go and put it in the shed. :D