[12/5/04] Sandy Hook

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Would anybody be interested in a trip to Sandy Hook?

Lots of ruins, and interesting wildlife/plant life. Since it's a barrier island, the environment is different than the Pines and the coastal area Pinelands.

Might be an interesting change of pace...

Reactions: wks

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
It's free from after Labor Day until Memorial Day. Too bad it's too cold to visit Gunnison Beach.

Now is a good time 'cause the NPS has 'leased' the old buildings in Fort Hancock to a developer for preservation via rental to corporate or college tennants. This may change the access to some areas in the future.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
i'm definatly down . . . keep me updated. i've been looking for a group to head to sandy hook for a while now . . . this is the time of year you start seeing seals on the beaches there--something i have to see.

-Bob

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
sundays are cool . . . lets set a date. just one thing--anyone have a problem with this being an early-in-the-day kind of thing??

-Bob

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
The 5th is coming up . . . sunday i believe. Do we have a meeting time or place? I don't know sandy hook really well (or at all for that matter). Is everybody still on for this little outing?

-Bob

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yes. We'll meet at the "Seagulls Nest" which is right off the main drag.

Basically, get on Sandy Hook, drive down the main road, and the Seagulls Nest will be on your right. It's a big two-story building. Look for the Yellow Jeep Wrangler in the parking lot.

Meeting time will be 10:30AM

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ok, Sunday looks great. Coming along will be my friends father who is an expert on Sandy Hook's ecosystem. He'll be showing us lots of great stuff.

Edit: Pack a lunch. There is _no_ place that is open on the 'Hook to get lunch. Also there are limited bathroom facilities.

There is a 7-11 in Sea Bright a few miles South of the Hook on Rt. 36. There are also some nice seafood resteraunts if anybody cares to stay late enough to want to have dinner.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I want to.. alot. but -- i have work at 3. so i'm still not really sure. i definatly wanna tromp with you at some point, ben.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BobM said:
Nobody went after all Ben? Maybe in the Spring? I'm betting the wind comes hard and cold off the water up there.

No, it was myself, Jim, and our guide Paul. It was a great trip - everyone who didn't go missed out on a lot.

It was also in the 50s and not windy at all. It was very comfortable.