16' Old Town Canoe

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Thinking of buying a used canoe, first canoe for me.

Is the Old Town 16' well matched to pines (batsto, mullica, etc.)? Is 16' the length I would want (or shorter). Howabout weight?

Appreciate any insights.

thks, ed

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
It'll be fine, and most folks can easily carry a boat that size solo. Get too much shorter & you will be down to a solo canoe - which you may want consider if all your paddling will be solo. Just my 2 centavos, having paddled the piney cricks since I was 10.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I agree with amf. 16ft will be fine. Even when solo paddling, I prefer a boat at least that length, as it tracks better on open water. Just sit in the front seat facing backward, to better balance the boat. Another trick I learned long ago when solo paddling on larger water is to bring along a kayak paddle. Purists hate the idea, but it makes crossing open water a breeze.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Go with it. I would give anything for a 16' Old Town. Like German, I prefer a slightly longer canoe 15-16' max though.
(17 tough, I think Long-a-coming has a 17 footer)
Long canoe tracks good, offers passenger options, and a 15+ foot canoe will keep you out of the water better than a 12 foot canoe. My main issue.
They can be a bear on open water but everything has it's pro's/con's.
I would be considered a purist (don't like kayaks) but that Kahyak paddle ideer intrigues me. Portaging is always a consideration but that depends on the person.
Good luck in your decision and enjoy the waters!

g.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'll add my 2 cents, from my own experience. Will you be sliding it into a pick up truck or car topping it? If car topping, try lifting any boat you are considering. If you will be going alone, getting a 16' canoe,that weighs 70-90 lbs on to the top of a car by yourself can be a challenge, especially in a breeze (or am I the only wimp here) :) .

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I'll add my 2 cents, from my own experience. Will you be sliding it into a pick up truck or car topping it? If car topping, try lifting any boat you are considering. If you will be going alone, getting a 16' canoe,that weighs 70-90 lbs on to the top of a car by yourself can be a challenge, especially in a breeze (or am I the only wimp here) :) .

The lighter materials are also more expensive. If you will be lifting the canoe by yourself keep in mind that technique counts most. I have a 74 pound canoe and the first time I tried to put it on the car by myself it looked like a benny hill skit. after some pointers and practice I can throw it up there like a pro. Practice makes perfect. Lots of good books out there.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
we'll see

Thks all for the helpful insights.

Sounds like a good bet, think its in the 60lb range... I have Grand Cherokee so I guess I'll need some good racks and that special technique.

rgds, ed

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I have a 17 footer and I've taken solo down the Wading, Batsto, and Mullica with out major issues. I will try German's suggestion next time about sitting in the front seat backwards. What I have been doing is sitting on a cooler in front of the back seat, almost like rear center if that makes any sense. Let's get out there and do a paddle on a Saturday in June.
Tom

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The main reason for sitting in the bow seat, backwards, is that the bow seat is closer to the middle of the canoe than the stern seat is. It doesn't place you in the center, which is considered the idea location, but it is a great improvement over paddling solo from the stern seat. We do have two Dagger canoes at work with a third seat in the middle just for that purpose, rather than for a third person.

As for my suggestion of a kayak paddle, it's a matter of efficiency. Every power stroke with a canoe paddle must be followed by a recovery stroke, which brings the blade back to the starting position for the next power stroke. With a kayak paddle, every power stroke with one blade puts the opposite blade in position for the next power stroke. There is no wasted motion, giving you twice the propulsion, for the same amount of effort, as with a canoe paddle. And since you are paddling on alternating sides of your boat, the need for correcting strokes such as a "J" stroke is eliminated as well.

This technique works better with a slightly longer paddle than you'd use in a kayak, because you have a farther reach to the water. The paddle is also more likely to get in the way on narrower streams than a canoe paddle would. It is at its best on open water. But I normally bring a take-down kayak paddle in addition to my canoe paddle with me on streams, as it allows me to get to another canoe in distress, especially upstream, much faster than if I'm paddling with a canoe paddle.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Not sure if it's a solo canoe your looking for? If you are considering solo only I would look for a solo specific canoe or dare I say a kayak.

I have a 15'8" Old Town Charles river canoe (Royalex) around 60 lbs. (very stable) and a 17' Old Town Penobscot canoe (Roaylex) around 70 lbs (less secondary stability (= more prone to swimming) but faster than the Charles River).. Both are great canoes! I have made several trips through the Pine Barren's rivers and streams, they are both great boats for it. I have never attempted to solo them though. Being Roalex they are both relatively light and manageable (I can carry them both myself easily). The same boats made of Polylink material would be roughly 20 lbs. heavier.
These boats are also great for long trips and camping, I just got home from the Delaware River. We went 47 miles in 4 days and 3 nights from Sparrow Bush NY to the Delaware Water Gap with both boats 4 people a dog and both canoes loaded to the gills.

I also have an old 15' fiberglass canoe that I rescued and rebuilt, it's heavy, 90 lbs., less primary stability than the others but excellent secondary stability (thinking of selling).

I have a couple kayaks as well, you can never have enough boats.......LOL

None are for sale but if you would like to try them out send me a PM, I have a lake across the street from me or we could take a trip down the Rancocas.
I can show the difference between the boats before you spend your money.

Before you buy, check out canoe and kayak reviews at this site: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/
It was very helpful when I was looking for my first canoe.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
delayed but not out

Thks for the offer, looks like I may have missed the canoe I wanted (someone else snapped it up). Will still be looking around and doing more research.

I think I want a utility canoe, then a kayak at some point.

thks for all the tips.

Not sure if it's a solo canoe your looking for? If you are considering solo only I would look for a solo specific canoe or dare I say a kayak.

I have a 15'8" Old Town Charles river canoe (Royalex) around 60 lbs. (very stable) and a 17' Old Town Penobscot canoe (Roaylex) around 70 lbs (less secondary stability (= more prone to swimming) but faster than the Charles River).. Both are great canoes! I have made several trips through the Pine Barren's rivers and streams, they are both great boats for it. I have never attempted to solo them though. Being Roalex they are both relatively light and manageable (I can carry them both myself easily). The same boats made of Polylink material would be roughly 20 lbs. heavier.
These boats are also great for long trips and camping, I just got home from the Delaware River. We went 47 miles in 4 days and 3 nights from Sparrow Bush NY to the Delaware Water Gap with both boats 4 people a dog and both canoes loaded to the gills.

I also have an old 15' fiberglass canoe that I rescued and rebuilt, it's heavy, 90 lbs., less primary stability than the others but excellent secondary stability (thinking of selling).

I have a couple kayaks as well, you can never have enough boats.......LOL

None are for sale but if you would like to try them out send me a PM, I have a lake across the street from me or we could take a trip down the Rancocas.
I can show the difference between the boats before you spend your money.

Before you buy, check out canoe and kayak reviews at this site: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/
It was very helpful when I was looking for my first canoe.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
My w/c is a 16' OTCA. I remember a 68 malibu wagon going camping at Round Valley loaded w/ alum tubing framed wall tents, coolers & camp stoves w/ room for JUST the 4th person in the back seat...back down to the water & off load into two 16 foot canoes & paddle it all in in one trip...I mean the back bumper was dragging on the dirt road into Round Valley & we emptied it in one trip...

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Just sit in the front seat facing backward, to better balance the boat. Another trick I learned long ago when solo paddling on larger water is to bring along a kayak paddle. Purists hate the idea, but it makes crossing open water a breeze.

Both excellent tricks. Up in Canada I often see tourists paddling solo, using the rear seat, nose high in the air (where, naturally, it acts a lot like a sail).