1859 Parry Sikes and Earl map of Burlington County

relayer

Explorer
Well, Ijust put up a copy of the 1859 Parry Sikes and Earl Map of Burlington County. It is an obscenely huge file (about 50 meg) but loads fine, albeit with a bit of a wait on both my 10 year old iLamp and its new cousin. I'm not entirely pleased with my handiwork so it may change slightly. But anyway, it's out and somebody might find it interesting. Enjoy or something:)
http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/maps/countymaps/BurlingtconCounty-1859.shtml

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That is a sweet map. Thanks for posting it. I couldn't get it to display in Chrome. Eventually the browser stopped trying and just displayed a white background. I was able to right click the background and "Save Image."

relayer

Explorer
Sorry - I forgot to issue my standard warning about what browsers will and won't display enormous online images. IE, Firefox and other Mizilla based browsers seem to have real problems with big images. I thought that Chrome handled such things wbut was apparently wrong. Safari and Opera handle large images and allow the user to
"fly" over them. Glad you were able to do the download. BTW - You're welcome. It was my pleasure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al,

Look this over.

Guy

Attachments

• bc.jpg
    bc.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 315

relayer

Explorer
The most common reason folks can't read/see one of these big maps is that the browser they are using is unwilling or unable to handle it. The usual suspects are mozilla based browsers like IE or Firefox. Apprantly Chrome is afflicted with this limitation as well. So their are two alternatives. One is to download Opera or Safari, which can handle the big images, or, to wait till the browser fails and see if you can download the linked file off whatever icon the browser eventually puts up. One of those courses of action should do the trick.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Turtle,

If nobody has fixed that for you by tonight I will alter it so you can view it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a J. Black's Tract near New Lisbon. I wonder if it is the same J. Black?

See attached.

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 274

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
There was a John Black involved in the New Lisbon Methodist Church along with Eayre Oliphant around 1874. Also Scotts 1876 atlas shows an A.L. Blacks cranberries in the New Lisbon area(probably the Mr. Black that dug Beck's canals mentioned in Bob Reeves book).

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Wow, that's a beautiful map! I need to study it to see what I can relate to and try to find some familiar landmarks.

I opened it OK with Firefox. I generally use FF or Opera.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That is a teriffic map. Some of my family immigrated to Frankford in the 1800's. Frankford was the center of the textile industry in Philadelphia. They came from Manchester England and Munich Bavaria which were also textile centers. It's great to see the mills locations and where my familys homes were or would be. I spent allot of time there. It puts a different perspective on the city.
I also lived in Cherry Hill for awhile. I found Cherry Hill at about the location of the mall. I always thought the name was made up.
As you can tell. I'm having lots of fun with the map.
Thanks,
Ed