Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/raptor_info.htm

36855737.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
From the link I assume that photo is yours. Is it a wild bird or caged?

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is mine and the bird is wild. A few years ago I spent a day with the banders in Cape May during the fall raptor migration, Interesting stuff and great closeup photo ops.

Another couple from the same day.

Coopers

36838651.jpg

Banding tubes, prevent the birds, and banders from being hurt during the banding.

85150724.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they do the smae thing with venemous snakes.send them up a much narrower tube while their sexing them.the snakes cannot back out and they remove a cap and let them crawl out the other end.I hope they don't hurt the birds feathers dragging it out backwards.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
they do the smae thing with venemous snakes.send them up a much narrower tube while their sexing them.the snakes cannot back out and they remove a cap and let them crawl out the other end.I hope they don't hurt the birds feathers dragging it out backwards.
Al

They come out frontwards, the cap is removed ala the snake tube. The banders get pretty beat up though when they retrieve the birds from the netting. The birds don't hestiate in striking out with beak and talon, note the cuts on that banders hand. Gloves don't allow the mobility they need. It's an amazing thing to watch.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Nice pics, if you click on "peregrine falcons". The first thing you see is a pic of the female from my work. She's still here and appears fine. lookingh forward to next years chick(s).

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
"They come out frontwards" I am down there at least twice a week during Hawk Mirgation (Sept -> Dec) and have watched and photographed many banding demos. I have NEVER seen a raptor of any species removed from the cans "frontwards", but always by grasping the legs just above the talons. In the photo you can even see that the black electrical tape extends to cover and therefore affix the lids on the cans.