2017-18 Winter weather

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
You guys start selling off your blowers, we're guaranteed several feet of snow this winter.

A friend of mine, in his mid-50's, dealt with snow the old-fashioned way (shovel and a small one at that) his whole life and decided enough was enough. He recently bought the mother of all snowblowers. I mean this thing looks futuristic to me. He asked me to help him get it out of the back of his pickup truck and when I looked at it I was nearly in disbelief. I half jokingly asked him where the hot chocolate machine feature was on it but I'm not sure which half of joking I was on. The thing has heated handles and everything. Well Murphy's Law tends to follow that man around, so my estimate is that the next time we see a flake of snow in New Jersey (Mercer County, anyway), it'll be sometime in about 2021.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
He recently bought the mother of all snowblowers.

Was it orange :eek:

track-gallery-3.jpg

track-gallery-2.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No plans to sell mine, I don't care if it sits there forever. I view it as an insurance policy - something I would rather not have to use. :)

I have my little Toro paddle wheeler, a lot easier to use than the Ariens, until the plow mountains at the end of the driveway. But that's what neighbor's kids are for ;) Wife bought me the Ariens, the thought would have been just fine.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Starting to wonder about these milder than usual predictions... ;)

Just in time for the cold spell, the heater in my car went out on my way up to my daughter's place in New York. Got it fixed today, but that was a very cold 3 hour drive home last night!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I recall a time in my much younger days; my daily driver was a Triumph GT6, took it to VT on skiing trips frequently, but one stands out. Heavy snow storm and no start. It had louvres in the hood and the engine was under a nice cold,white, wet blanket. Friend towed me up and down rt4 in Rutland to get it going. It snowed when I left, a heavy wet snow and the wiper fuse kept blowing due to the weight of it. Snow finally let up around Glens Falls NY with 3 fuses left, needed the ice scraper for inside. Those were the daze :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haha. :) I remember driving my Chevette through deep snow near Syracuse long ago and the carpet on the passenger side started rising higher and higher. I wondered what was going on until I realized the snow was getting scooped inside through rusted out holes in the floor (caused by all the salt they use up there).

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Haha. :) I remember driving my Chevette through deep snow near Syracuse long ago and the carpet on the passenger side started rising higher and higher. I wondered what was going on until I realized the snow was getting scooped inside through rusted out holes in the floor (caused by all the salt they use up there).

Ahhhh, the Chevette. One of America's first disposable cars. :)
The owner's manual should have told you to put it out at the curb when done !

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Definitely not Chevy's finest product. But we had two and they were generally reliable, got great mileage and frankly were about all we could afford at the time. ;)

But anyway... the forecast for the next week is pretty brutal... 5 degrees tonight, 10 degrees tomorrow night. So where is this warmer than normal winter we were supposed to have?