4 watersheds in a day. A PBX hike.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This past Sunday 5 members of the Pine Barrens Explorers (PBX) participated in a hike that was titled "4 watersheds in one day", in which we visited the very beginnings of 4 important rivers that flow through the pines. All of these rivers have their beginnings in the Greenwood Forest and Pasadena Wildlife Management Area, just west of 539 and north of 72 in the Union Clay Works, Old Half Way, and Red Oak Grove area.

If you did not experience Sunday morning driving in the Medford, Tabernacle, and Chatsworth area, you missed out on the black ice that Ed and I experienced on our way to the meeting spot on 539 for the start of our hike at 9AM. Driving through Medford on Tuckerton road just after 7AM, I had problems keeping my car on the road. Many others also did, which was obvious when I passed a truck flipped over in a swamp with fire trucks and police present.

When Ed and I were rounding the curve at Chatsworth lake it was obvious from the skid marks that many other had smashed into the guard rail earlier in the morning, and one vehicle was still there after smashing into a pole. There was even a truck in downtown Chatsworth stopped in the middle of the road with the driver looking at the front wheels which may have been damaged by him sliding into something. An interesting start to the day.

We finally made it to 539 and met up with the other members of our group. Just after 9 we headed into the woods for our first stop at the very beginning of the Cedar Creek. In this photo the founder of PBX (BobM) practices his skating.

IMG_4746.JPG

To commemorate visiting our first watershed, Bob surprised us with a commemorative laminated card of the event. Here are all of them.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/10232004/commemorativePBXcard..jpg

From there we headed to the beginning of the Oswego river. This photo does not show any water, but below the surface of the ground, mother nature is starting the water on it's way to the surface to create the mighty Oswego for all of us to enjoy.

oswego.JPG

Bob gave us another commemorative card.

Next, we reached the Burlington/Ocean county border and traveled NE along it's route. This is the route that in 1687 George Keith traveled to unsuccessfully divide NJ into East and West provinces. In 1743 John Lawrence would correct his error, and the George Keith Line would eventually be used to divide the two counties.

On the county line is the beginning of the Wading river, and we received another commemorative card. This photo shows members surveying the water flow.

wading.JPG

Along the county line which BTW is very tough going in places, we came upon a nice tree stand. In these photo's Paul checks it out.

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

We then visited the inscribed stone boundary marker dividing Lacey, Woodland, and Manchester township, and then stopped for lunch at Old Half Way (Hidden Lakes).

From there we headed to our last intended location....the beginning of the Rancocas Creek and our final commemorative card. Again, just below the ground things are happening.

rancocas.JPG

From there we headed east back toward 539 and our vehicles, stopping along the way when we found anything of interest which we did. In all my GPS said we had walked 9.4 very tough miles, all within 6 hours.

Here is our route.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/4watersheds/route.jpg

A great day despite the early morning ice. We gave it an 8 out of 10 rating.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Sounds like an awesome hike, Guy. Hey, keep me updated on the pbx hikes . . . I'd be more than willing if i'm still welcome to the hikes.

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bobbleton said:
Sounds like an awesome hike, Guy. Hey, keep me updated on the pbx hikes . . . I'd be more than willing if i'm still welcome to the hikes.

-Bob

They are almost always on a Saturday, except during hunting season. I thought you were not able to make them because of that.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ecampbell said:
A great day and a great theme hike. Here are a couple of my pictures. I would have taken more but it was too cold. I'm sorry I missed photographing THE TREE!.

Ed

Steve looks really relaxed in that chair :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
TeeGate said:
They are almost always on a Saturday, except during hunting season. I thought you were not able to make them because of that.

Guy

I generally work at 5 on saturdays, and unfortunatly its not a day i can afford to give away. But that having been said . . i can definatly join in for at least portions (if not all) of the pbx hikes. My wildlife agendas usually go down during the week, so I'll be around . . .

-Bob