4x4 owners might enjoy (Give time to load)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I was going through my photo's and found a series of them that 4x4 owners might enjoy.

On a back road from Quaker Bridge to the JCRR and on to Hampton Furnace, there is a little tributary that feeds the Batsto river through a pipe under the road. You would never even know this pipe was there normally, as with many other pipes that are covered over in the pines. After a very heavy rainfall in June of 1978, I came upon this pipe after the road around it had been washed away. It was impassable in it's present condition, so I photographed it and reluctantly turned around.

6_78_1.jpg

6_78_2.jpg

I mentioned it to my parents during the week, and they asked me to take them to see it. It was the first time my parents had ever traveled into the pines with 4x4.

6_78-4.jpg

6_78_3.JPG

My mom worked with a few 4x4 owners and mentioned it to them that she had been there. They asked her if I would meet them at the Indian Chief restaurant parking lot on Route 70 in Medford the next weekend to show them where it was. We met and headed out, arriving there as other unknown 4x4 owners arrived at the spot also. In one of the vehicles they had boards that we felt would have the strength to hold a vehicle so that we could get over the pipe and continue on. The heaviest vehicle was the Ford Bronco owned by the man my mom worked with, so we decided to have that vehicle go last.

The first photo shows my red Land Cruiser waiting in line to cross over.

6_78_6.jpg

6_78_7.jpg

The Ford Bronco going last.

6_78_8.jpg

Two months later there was very little evidence that the ground had even washed out. The state had repaired the road to allow vehicle traffic to resume.

8-78Last.jpg

This map shows it's location.

Map.jpg

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Guy, why do you think they were interested enough to go out there? Seems a little odd when you think about it......bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Who exactly do you mean, my parents or the 4x4 owners.

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
All of them. You indicated that is was the first time they had ever been 4-wheeling with you.

I'm the kind of guy who becomes excited by natural weather disasters. I'm the first one out the door to see how high the water is at our dam when we get heavy rains or remnants of hurricanes. I even check on the gaging stations at Byrne Forest and Rancocas Creek. I was wondering if that spring brought a lot of people out for the same kind of purpose.

Bob

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
By the way; that is the stream coming from Mannis Duck Pond, isn't it? I have been there before if it is.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

My parents have always been interested in anything that I do. That is good parenting. So when I came home and mentioned that the recent storms had done considerable damage to some of the roads in the pines, my information must have peaked their interest. I had not had my vehicle for very long, and there is a first time for everything. So this happened to be their first trip.

Obviously it made some sort of impression on my mom who mentioned it to the man she worked with, who also took an interest. We met for the first time, and the pictures tell the rest.

I don't see how that was odd, just interested parents. And to this day my mom still talks about it when she sees news reports of washed out bridges and roads. I can't say the exact reason the others were there. I assume the same as me, just having a good time without doing any damage. There is no doubt that that we did less than the storm, the pictures prove that.

As for the Mannis Duck Pond, I will have to get out my maps to check if that is the one. I can't be certain after all the years. I will post back after I check.

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Sorry Guy, I didn't mean to offend you or indicate anyone in the photos was odd for going out there. The word "odd" was a poor word choice on my part.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is no need to ever apoligize to me. We all type things that seem proper to us at the time, and they are misunderstood by the receiver. I have been guilty of that many times.

Guy

MatthewH41

Dec 31, 1969
Nice Cruiser!

Nice to see a fellow cruiser owner on the board! I have a green '77 FJ-40 that is currently sitting in the back yard with a dead motor and lots of rust :( It was my first car (I'm 21 now) and I have many fond memories of taking it hunting/wheeling/camping in the pines. Unfortunately all that "real life" stuff got in the way (school, work-don't ya hate when that happens?) and I couldn't do all the restoration work it needed. Actually I have a lot of pictures of pines wheeling trips, so if I ever have time to scan them I'll throw them up. Most of them are from Wharton State Forest and Colliers Mills WMA.

Later,

Matthew

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Nice Cruiser!

It's good that the state repaired the road to allow people to continue along it.

If I'm not mistaken, the route all of you took parallels the Basto after you turn right shortly after crossing Quaker Bridge and then turns right after the junction where the road closed to vehicles goes to the Lower Forge Wilderness Campground. I walked that road many times but I haven't taken the chance driving that sand road with a regular car, which you said was a wise decision, Guy. But maybe now that I have new, high quality struts and all new shock absorbers and wider (70 width) all-season radial tires, maybe I would be OK on that road. Maybe not.

It would also be nice if the state made some kind of a little bridge over the dips in the sand road that you pick up off of the unpaved road that comes off of route 206 just north of the Atsion ranger station, which dead ends at the railroad tracks, where, if you turn left and walk the tracks for about 1/2 mile, you come to the RR bridge over the Basto. This is the route you showed me awhile back, Guy. After a good rain, a puddle that looks to be about a foot deep, spans nearly the whole width of the road and is about 20 feet long. It's a fairly abrupt dip, which I was hesitant to drive across. I noticed some tire tracks that went around it. The bridge wouldn't have to be anything fancy. A bridge or something would help keep the road in good shape.