5 MIle At Four Mile....A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Back on September 8 all members of PBX received this edited email from Bob concerning our first hike of the season.

Hello Boys,

C’mon, let’s get back to the woods! The name of this trip is Five Mile at Four Mile. Hmmm…yessir! I can smell that gum swamp right now. Lets kick up some fallen leaves over in Burlington County. A place near and dear to me heart…as I spent my misguided youth just a couple miles from there.

On Saturday, 27 October, we’ll meet at 8:30 AM on route 70, about .5 miles West of the Four Mile Circle. We’ll beat that section of woods down, cross a stream or two, pass some interesting looking clearings, mosy up to the back of the boys home, and pop out at Mayo’s for a beer.

Participating members were ... Bob (bobpbx), myself {Teegate), Jessica, Scott (RednekF350), Tom (oji) and Chris (Hewey). Also attending was Scott's wife Dotty and her sister Sue.

We entered the woods just west of the 72 circle and headed in the direction of the State Colony. One thing is certain about this area is that hunters love it. We saw no less than 20 deer stands and the like on our exploring today.

IMG_1845.JPG

You may remember that a few years back they had a tornado that ripped through the 4 Mile Colony area taking down trees and damaging buildings there. We found out today that these winds traveled through the woods behind there doing the same to quite a few trees.

IMG_1847.JPG

As usual we took a group photo. Today, it was in one of many interesting plantations scattered throughout the pines. They began with the CCC; however, we can't be sure when this one was planted. In any event, it was a really great place to spend some time.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

In the flood plane of the Burrs Mill Brook.

IMG_1860.JPG

Off and on we came upon the various trails in the Michael Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve, and crossing the green trail we found this bridge.

IMG_1862.JPG

Bob names all of our waypoints along our route, and one of them was called "Ballpark." Arriving at this location it was obvious that it was some sort of dump from the way it had been covered over. After examining this location I am confident this was an old dump for the State Colony. Looking at HistoricAerials.com I can see that as far back as 1940 there was a road leading from the state institution to this site. To be fare there were also roads leading there from other places, but looking over some of the items found there I personally would say some of it came from there. By 1956 is was starting to grow in size.

Jessica looking slightly tired sitting on the dump.

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

The edges of the dump were along cedar swamps, and some of the metal and tire remains could be viewed even after it had been covered over with fill. It really is quite extensive and nearby there may have been checmicals dumped. There are EPS testing wells in the area.

The edges of the dump where it meets the cedar swamp.

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.87048617098581&lng=-74.58715796470642&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=

After 7 miles of crashing through the woods we ended up exiting the woods at Mayo's on 72 ... and the day was over. If the rest of the hikes this year are as good as this one I will be happy. These woods held so much to see and experience, and I gave it a 9.3 out of 10. I want to thank Bob for a well designed hike, and thank all the other members and family who attended.

Guy

Reactions: John and dogg57

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was a nice trip Guy. Pleasant. We gave it a 9 overall, even with Dottie and Sue voting. I'll see if my photos are any good, and will post some.

Ed, thanks very much for the GPS. It worked just fine.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Great photo's! I turned around and saw you just after you took that last photo. Turning back I looked around and wondered how it would look. Now I know. It is always a pleasure hiking with you.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jess look over heated.

She has not hiked in a while and I have to admit she was barely moving around here tonight. We went to my moms and she went there in her pajamas since she was so tired she did not want to change. She has been in bed for hours already.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We really had a great time on the hike.
My wife's sister Sue is staying with us for awhile and when she heard about the PBX style of hiking without trails, she really wanted to give it a shot.

My wife and her laughed throughout most of the hike, especially after they banged heads crawling through a briar patch nearly knocking themselves out.

The area was interesting and the terrain varied. After a 7 mile, 6 hour trek, Mayo's came into view.
My wife and her sister really enjoyed the day and I can bet they will try it again.

Some pics.

A Green Valley Farms milk box. Green Valley was on Crystal Lake Ave in Westmont (now the Taproom) and delivered throughout South Jersey when I was a kid.
img_1462.jpg

The branch.
img_1466.jpg

Guy on a branch at the branch.
img_1468.jpg

Swamp sisters.
img_1472.jpg

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Love the swamp sisters photo. Jessica was telling me about them crashing into each other and laughing about it. They did quite well for sure as some parts of that were really tough.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
[quote="Ed, thanks very much for the GPS. It worked just fine.[/quote]

Your very welcome, Bob. I would have liked to have come on this one but got the opportunity to camp and hike at French Creek State Park for the week. Mountains and boulders, quite a difference. My calves are still sore.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Bob put to gether a great hike! We spent the day in a very beautiful area of the pines. The weather was very nice, the calm before the storm so to say.

Guy, Scott, and Tom in the area of past storm damage.
105.jpg

We passed through a damp area of woods that had a large grove of Magnolia's. The area must smell great in the spring!
108.jpg

Bob in an area the oak has died off in and the pine will soon dominate.
117.jpg

Scott, Bob, Guy, and Tom looking over a map discussing property boundries.
111.jpg

Bob making his way through the cedar.
119.jpg

A pond lined with cedar.
120.jpg

Bob in the area of the dump.
122.jpg

Burrs Mill flood plain.
115.jpg

Chris

Reactions: John