83-A good number

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thats how many ticks I pulled off tonite while walking 90 minutes on a trail with scattered blueberry bushes. Luckily, I had very faded blue jeans on. They are great for spotting them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea...they are bad this year. I found that walking along traveled trails seemed worse. When we bushwacked there were very few.

Getting in shape?? I have been riding the bike.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
Isn't that weird, I spent all day last Saturday in the deep woods and did not get one.

Jeff

They are hit or miss.

Guy

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
it is the end of hiking season for me in south jersey (ticks), i think i do about 800 to 900 miles a year.
now it's kayak season, and hiking and camping time in north central pa (no ticks or chiggers, i have never got any up there) just hills and rocks and water crossings

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm with you onehand exploring season is close to being over for me in the pine barrens. Most of my outings will be in central pa. Here are a few pics from my trip wednesday to bald eagle state forest. The usual suspects

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
bobpbx said:
That top middle picture is Mini-Me Sasquatch, right?

Ha, ha.... yeah, and this is his big brother:

bigfoot.gif

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
I got a kick out of that picture. Is that normal behavior for them to sit on their tail like that?

Only when they're chilling out. If you'll notice, he's got a pair of dice in his paw and he's rolling them around in his hand just like the human wise guys did in the old days.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That is not normal behavior, at least I think it isn't. He was getting pissed off which is why his quills in his back are starting to rise, and his teeth were chattering like most rodents do. He was simply warning me that I was getting to close. I adhered to his warning, and walked away.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
woodjin said:
oh no, don't show pictures of a porcupine to Stu (onehand). Porcupines are his nemisis.

Jeff
i hates dem things, the only critter in the woods in the woods that can disable your vehicle in 5 minuets or less and cost you hundreds to repair !