87 yo woman stranded

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can see that easily happening especially in a Cadillac.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's an amazing story. A few more hours and the outcome could have been very different. The article does leave me with a lot of questions though. She's been stuck since Saturday with no silver alert that I have been able to find? She was found on a remote tank trail, does that mean she made it on base? How did she even wind up there, did GPS take her down a wrong road? I'm glad everything seems to have worked out well but it seems like sheet luck that it did.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It actually is very easy to get on a tank road. Or at least it was when I went on one.

Were you in a tank? ;)

She was found on a remote tank trail, does that mean she made it on base? How did she even wind up there, did GPS take her down a wrong road?

Pretty easy off of RT539, especially when they are having practice, which they were last weekend and all this week. Maybe they thought she was a General :D I hope she wasn't using the MAP :eek:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I'm not out that way often and when I am it's usually very early to go fishing.
Guy, given all the places you go In that car it wouldn't surprise me on but that you were on a tank trail in it:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was not in my car.

I wanted to find an incised stone on a road so someone I know reserved the shooting range for one hour on Thanksgiving weekend years ago. We figured that would give us time to get there and back safely but even the best of plans don't always work. Just as we got to the location with the other persons vehicle a FFS truck was coming down the road towards us. He was not happy. They were doing bombing that day and he was making sure the area was clear. He told us to get in the car and leave now. He followed us to the road where we were met by another car with a military man in it. We just kept going and they both followed us a while and then turned off while we kept going.

Anyway, the road in was clear and not blocked so anyone could get in there. A little sandy and that is why he took us in his vehicle. And when all was said and done it is obvious the stone is long gone. The road is really wide and the stone in 1856 was on the edge of it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
...."He told us to get in the car and leave now."

Don't you just love people who can't be pleasant even if they need to tell you to scram? Can't they smile and say it at the same time?

I used to drive from Browns Mills to Lakehurst on Range Road for a couple years when I first started at Lakehurst.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Hunterdon County woman is working with military officials to have a K-9 tracking team search the base area where Haskins' vehicle was located.

How come you never hear of a feline tracking team? K-9's rock :D

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
How come you never hear of a feline tracking team? K-9's rock :D

I know if I sent our two dogs out with orders to "Go find the cat !" it wouldn't end very well for the cat.
If I want to distract Murphy and make him go crazy I say "Where's that bad, bad kitty cat ?" He'll go running for our shed, beneath which we once had a feral cat living. He'll never forget it.

With all due respect and kindness though, this very old woman has made it through a terrible ordeal and I really do hope they find her cat. Anyone who cares for an animal has a special kind of heart and finding her pet will certainly help ease her trauma.

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
With all due respect and kindness though, this very old woman has made it through a terrible ordeal and I really do hope they find her cat. Anyone who cares for an animal has a special kind of heart and finding her pet will certainly help ease her trauma.

I agree, but the odds aren't with her, although the cat will probably adapt well to the wild. The number of feral cats at IBSP is amazing, its all you see on the sand trail, cat tracks. We have one of their offspring, left here by my son :argh: Twas an interesting few weeks after we brought Max home. :eek:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Geez Scott, what's got into you? It's a cat for cripes sake! :D

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yep, the person that fed them passed on a few years back, no more handouts. The Fox are probably the best fed in the country. Folks just love feeding wild things, unfortunately they don't realize they are killing them. :rolleyes: