A clearing in the woods

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was looking over ariel photos when I noticed an interesting clearing in Lebanon not far from me. No apparent road access (although some roads don't show up on ariel photos) Looked like sugar sand with lichens growing on them, and a cleared field of some sort. I started wondering if it might have been an old forgotten farm.

I was able to get out briefly this morning but enough time to check it out. this is what I saw as I came upon it. There were no roads leading to it, except for a hunters trail and an old fire clear/cut came close by.

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_001.jpg

As you can kind of see from the photo. it is mostly uplands that drops in elevation into the clearing. It is natural topography.

The sugar sand as it appeared in USA photo maps was present but very compressed and matted. white, but is probably under water some of time.

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_002.jpg

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_003.jpg

The rest of the clearing is highbush blueberry. If it was a cultivated farm, it must have been a long time ago. The rows are gone and the bushes appear mostly random. This could be entirely natural. A walk throught the clearing showed a hard sand floor under about an inch of water. The clearing was collecting the run off from the steeper uplands surrounding it.

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_004.jpg

Notice the bit of beacon hill gravel to the right in this dryer area.

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_005.jpg

Interestingly, USA photo maps and terraserver showed a large vernal pool. Google Earth did not. I could not locate the vernal pool, but I did find the spring depicted on google earth. IT might be the difference of a flooded area and the difference in years between photos. This area is about where the pool should have been. It is sandy and often under water.

normal_clearing_in_the_woods_006.jpg

This was a very interesting area, very open, and very upland with the exception of a small, swampy feeder spring. Most of the water in the area is from runoff and consequently very little mud. Lots of deer, in fact I scared off a full herd as I circled the western side of clearing, too fast for my camera.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Good camping spot huh Bob? Except for a hunting stand there was no evidence of human disturbance (camping, vehicles etc) or garbage. That is right, no garbage all. It was refreshing.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Jeff
Evidence of cultivated rows of blueberry lasts a very long time.
In Parkdale there are hidden fields of blueberry that have been taken over by woods but the rows are still clearly evident and the rows are hilled up at the base as well. These haven't been active for at least 50 years.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good camping spot huh Bob? Except for a hunting stand there was no evidence of human disturbance (camping, vehicles etc) or garbage. That is right, no garbage all. It was refreshing.

Jeff

Lovely area, I can tell. Don't you just love it when you enter an area like that, and suddenly you feel alive and free, and realize there are still some areas like that, undiscovered by us Brothers of the Pines.

Jeff, I'll bet this area was formed by effects of the Laurentide Ice Sheet, 20,000 years ago. Perhaps ice water flowing over the land scoured out a weak area in the topogrophy.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes, It is great to discover an area like this. Scott, I've seen old blueberry fields also where the rows have remained, sometimes over run by maples and cat brier. My only thought was that this might have been a very old farm and enough of the bushes died off to lose the row structure, but mostly I believe it is natural. A perfect habitat for blueberry. In fact, aside from some grasses, it is only blue berry, no maple or brier or leather leaf.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Would that spot be considered a savanna?

Perhaps by strict definition but it is much different that the typicall pine barrens savanna. The most important difference is the very hard packed sand which has reduced the vegetation to only some grasses and of course blueberry.

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Jeff
Evidence of cultivated rows of blueberry lasts a very long time.
In Parkdale there are hidden fields of blueberry that have been taken over by woods but the rows are still clearly evident and the rows are hilled up at the base as well. These haven't been active for at least 50 years.
Scott

My oldest brother, who has since passed awy (1997) used to crop dust some of those "abandoned" blueberry fields around Parkdale. They looked deserted, but evidently someone was still harvesting them and paid to have them dusted. This would have been in the 60's, I think.