A few questions

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Hey all. I was out on the Batona Trail today with my GPS and noticed the trail crosses a dirt road with the name of Norlemon. Would anyone know the origin of this name?

Also, near Deep Hollow Pond, there is an old paved road which I understand to be part of an old campground or campsite - would anyone have anymore information on this or at least point me in a direction to look? :)

By the way - you should see how low the pond is - looks like a wide stream.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting. If you look at Google Maps it does look like a paved road goes around the lake in a loop.

Note the smaller loops at the bottom of the main loop.

That was a state run campground in there back when I was a kid. The loop hit all the camping spots, which were numbered. They had a big wooden pavilian, and damned the stream to make a fine swimming lake. In the 70's they abandonded it. Really annoyed me when they did that.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks bobpbx :) I had read somewhere it may have been campground. Shame it isn't there anymore, but the proximity to Presidential Lakes may have made it necessary to abandon it, I guess. Wonder if there are any pics of the old campground. Something for me to look into

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks bobpbx :) I had read somewhere it may have been campground. Shame it isn't there anymore, but the proximity to Presidential Lakes may have made it necessary to abandon it, I guess. Wonder if there are any pics of the old campground. Something for me to look into

I didn't realize it was an old campground, that is interesting! If you take the loop expect to find a lot of dumpings in there, mostly cut trees. It is a good spot to find some firewood. I never noticed any old fire pits in there, but I wasn't looking for them.

Jeff