A good year for Turkey Beard

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Everywhere I look I'm seeing flower stalks!

5680467365_1442d1609f_m.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This mornings brief walk.

Notice the Sheep Kill is starting to bloom.

We found a field of them as far as we could see. We saw as many bitten off stalks as ones with blooms.

Guy, I am having trouble photographing the wide contrast between the white bloom and the forest.

I have favorite places to view them but the odd thing is they don't bloom every year. In 2009 there was a place with over 60 blooms in a 15 foot sq area, nothing last year or this year, not even stalks.

Ed

Reactions: john33 and dogg57

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York
Great photos! I can see in the first shot that there are 3 plants on the left side of the view that have not started blooming yet. But obviously most seem to be in peak flower NOW.

Assuming the deer don't get to them, do you know approximately how long they stay in flower?

John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This mornings brief walk.

Guy, I am having trouble photographing the wide contrast between the white bloom and the forest.

Ed

Ed,

I have always had trouble photographing plants that are white. They never turn out well.

Also, try cropping that last photo and posting it. If you are not sure how to do that send me that full size photo if you want to.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Guy, I am having trouble photographing the wide contrast between the white bloom and the forest.Ed

Ed, if your camera has spot metering try that. The camera is trying to balance the entire picture and whites usually lose out. The spot meter will meter only the area the meter is pointed at, in most cameras that is the point of focus. You can also adjust it with post processing software if your inclined to try that.

I'll have to try and get out tomorrow, been busy with my son and his post op stuff.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Here is the same shot edited in PhotoShop for Lighting ( lighten shadows, darken highlights )

A close up, unedited.

The closeup edited in PS, showing greater detail, but it seems to lack the vibrance of the unedited one. Funny, I never noticed the bug before.

I do have a metering mode on my camera. Iwill have to try several shots to see what happens. This digital film is strange stuff, we can adjust reality, whatever that is.

Just an interesting observation. Here is a shot of a very hot fire. I only see an orange glow of the coals but my camera interprets the coals as violet. Perhapse it sees a part ofthe spectrum I can't.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ed, another way to easily adjust is to use the 'histogram' I use LightRoom, not very familiar with PS but I'm sretty sure PS also has this as they are both put out by Adobe. Just adjust the slider on the right side. You might be able to select it and the image will show the blown out areas in red, then using the slider you can adjust them. Many cameras also have a histogram you can refer to. What camera are you using?