A Late April Exploration

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I took today off from work and Rob from work and I headed out at 6AM to explore portions of the Parker Preserve. We started our day at the bridge on 563 where the West Branch of the Wading River crosses. That would be here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.789890641965336&lng=-74.53575611114502&z=17&type=h&gpx=

We decided to travel East on the North side of the river and it was quite flooded from the beavers. They own that river. Along the way we looked for the concrete monument for an exception that is inside the Parker Preserve.

Early morning mist.

IMG_7308.JPG

Monument

IMG_7304.JPG

We stumbled on this stand that appears to be well built, but after examining it from the ground we had our doubts. I would have never ventured into this one even when new. It has some serious safety flaws.

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7313.JPG

Rob found this.

IMG_7320.JPG

From the end of it.

IMG_7321.JPG

The one concern we had on this hike is that we had to cross the Risley Branch. It looked a little wide on the aerial maps in the area we were heading, so when we arrived there we were not surprised that we could not get across. So we headed upstream searching for a way across. Time after time the trees were just to weak or not long enough to reach the other side. After what seemed like forever we came to one that had possibilities. After discussing it for a while I told Rob that if Bob was there he would have thrown his walking stick across forcing us to make it to the other side to pick it up. Rob promptly threw Jessica's walking stick across the stream. He had left his home and was using hers.

We hit the Risley at the blue arrow, and had to travel to the yellow to cross.

risley.jpg

Rob making his way across.

IMG_7326.JPG

IMG_7328.JPG

The hardest part of the hike was just ahead, and on the way Rob spotted this turtle. I honestly think it was sleeping when we disturbed it.

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

After some serious bushwhacking we finally arrived at the bogs along Old Tuckerton Road.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78367438545645&lng=-74.52165842056274&z=16&type=h&gpx=

These bogs are private and we sat down along the edge of the bog for a small bite to eat. A vehicle had just disappeared around the corner along the bog, but soon it returned. Within a few minutes he spotted us and came over to talk. His name was Pete Brower, and for the next 30 minutes we had the most interesting conversation with him. Everything from the bogs, to various individuals we both know, to his former occupation, etc, etc. Rob felt that those 30 minutes made his day. We were both glad we had decided to go there.

His bogs. 12 acres.

IMG_7336.JPG

Then we were off and we visited this stone that I had told Al about and he visited earlier. Notice someone had used mortar to put it back together.

IMG_7333.JPG

We then traveled to the road between the Haines property and the Parker Preserve. There is a wonderful reservoir there that the Haines call Ox Pasture. The origins of the name are unknown I have been told.

IMG_7339.JPG

Then our second turtle find. Painted turtles are so calm and relaxed.

IMG_7341.JPG

IMG_7342.JPG

Now I want to get all of you involved. If you know the answer to this let me know. Someone knows, so we should have an answer soon I hope. On the Parker Preserve we found the below concrete blocks. They made a special road for them and dug a hole for half of them. Each block is tied together with steel cord.
After looking them over I took a guess that may be correct or may not be. Remember, it is just a guess. I believe it is a test bridge. They can hook these together and place them along a road in the place of building a small bridge. The wire holds them together. What do you think or know about this?

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04292011/IMG_7346.JPG

Even under the water they are hooked together.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04292011/IMG_7347.JPG

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04292011/IMG_7348.JPG

And at the end of the hike we stopped to rest at one of my favorite places to stop at.

IMG_7349.JPG

It was a very nice day! I hope I have made you believe you were there with us.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

You can only place 20 photo's in a post with this software. Because of that I had to link to a few and not IMG them. I would suggest that if anyone has more than 20 they make them in to posts. I just started to do that and added my second post but Boyd got his reply in before I could. So I kept them all in one post.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Looks like you had an interesting day! What a great day to be in the woods! Cool shed antler, they are always nice to find.
That is some treestand, you could live in that thing.

Your reports are always tops!

Chris

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,
Those blocks are being tested as a means to disperse overflow water evenly as opposed to heavy run-off with erosion. So they also stabilize the ground. Eventually grasses and herbaceous plants will grow between the "bricks" and the project will not look so stark. If you look at your photo the bog is to the right and the low ground is to the left. It will hopefully keep the road from washing out when the bog overflows from heavy precipitation.
This was explained to me by a FPP employee when I hiked there in March..... I am sure that others on this forum will have more in-depth knowledge.

Turtle

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There you go. I know we would have the answer quickly. Thank you Turtle!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice report Guy! I see the woods are greening up good. I'm surprised you remembered that stick trick....it makes you commit to..."do something for God's sake!". :p

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, Perfect day to be out there. Pete Brower was my gym teacher in high school a long time ago.

He mentioned he was a teacher in Pemberton for 30 years. His wife still is a teacher. I wish I had thought of you and mentioned your name. Then again, maybe he would have had me arrested :D

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
I walked across a bridge just like that one last sunday when I was in the parker preserve.I was west of 563 and you were east of it but I could see trucks and a backhoe with men working in the bogs east of 563 from where i was walking and I believe they were putting more of these contraptions in over there.Mine looked identical to yours and I was greatful it was there because the water appeared to be over my knee highs.
I never noticed that stone had concrete in it till i just went back to my photo I had taken of it back when i went there after plotting it off that map I got in Mount Holly.Still haven't went back to look for that stone thats on the mapp but has no survey line running to it but it is just off that beautiful bog you show a picture of.I have been wanting to show Whip that bog so he can photo it. That I believe would be the first stone I ever found repaired.I have set broken stones back together and gravity held them in place but never repaired one myself.
Al