A nice afternoon of searching

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Since the weather improved this afternoon, Jes and I as usual went searching. I had been tipped off by a member of this site on the location of a 1x1 granite marker off of Chew Road. And as usual I left home without the coordinates and map, but was able to find it easily with the given directions. This marker defines the property line of the state and a local land owner.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/362004/IMG_3128.jpg

While in the area I decided to see if I could find the Atlantic/Camden county border in that area. I have never come across one like this in the pines.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/362004/IMG_3133.jpg

While at that location I am certain there were tree frogs honking in the nearby stream. It seems early but the sound was familiar. I also noticed that the ferns were brightening up all around that area.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/362004/IMG_3134.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It certainly could have been peepers. Whatever it was the sound was quite interesting. That area along Chew road is an interesting place with streams and cedar swamps. Later in the summer when it gets dryer I am going to explore it some more.

That is the first time anyone has said my name was poetic :)

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
It certainly could have been peepers. Whatever it was the sound was quite interesting. That area along Chew road is an interesting place with streams and cedar swamps. Later in the summer when it gets dryer I am going to explore it some more.

That is the first time anyone has said my name was poetic :)

Guy

We've been hearing the northern spring peepers since Monday night over here. It's such a great thing to hear--spring is in the air! peep, peep, peep...they get so loud they are almost deafening. The cicadas coupled in tonight with them, we could hear them through closed windows in the car as we pulled in the driveway.
John Bunnell, who does the frog research with the Pinelands Commission, mentioned in a class Joe took today that they heard the peepers Monday night for the first time too.
We've all been listening to our NJ frog and toad call CD all week and running around quizzing each other: what am I? reeee---- reeeee----quonk----quonk---laughs....got 16 species in NJ of frogs and toads. Headed to a workshop next Saturday that the dEP is offering on vernal ponds to train for monitoring for frogs/toads/salamanders.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It must have been them, because it was impossible to not notice it. I was going to walk back towards the sound, but it looked like rain and within a few minutes it was raining.

Guy

B

BarryC

Nice Ground Pine! I've only seein it in 3 places in South Jersey, that I recall. Cool stuff. I've heard Spring Peepers just since the beginning of this week. I heard them tonight when I was outside. It seems a little early, but the 60+ degree temps might have them out early. I don't know. The weather sure changes a lot in a short time.
Also, I've never seen a county line marker. That's cool. In that area maybe you can find a marker showing the boundary of 3 counties at once. Actually I think that would have to be down east of the Blue Hole, where Gloucester, Camden and Atlantic Counties meet. Anyway, thanks for the pics.
TeeGate said:
While at that location I am certain there were tree frogs honking in the nearby stream. It seems early but the sound was familiar. I also noticed that the ferns were brightening up all around that area.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/362004/IMG_3134.jpg

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yeah, nice picture, I chose a shallow lake to fish last Sunday (February 29) and caught 5 bass over 3 pounds. I was pleasantly surprised! They were still in a tuporous sort of state . They would come to the surface and look like they wanted to jump but would not do it because I guess they were too cold still! It's soo good to see everything cold-blooded coming back to life.