A Pig Iron Corner

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Most viewers of this post will know what Pig Iron is; however, if you do not here is the definition from Dictionary.com.

pig iron
–noun
1. iron tapped from a blast furnace and cast into pigs in preparation for conversion into steel, cast iron, or wrought iron.
2. iron in the chemical state in which it exists when tapped from the blast furnace, without alloying or refinement.

During my years of searching for property stones and monuments, I had never come across a pig iron corner which is mentioned in this sample property description from an old newspaper.

“Beginning at a pig iron corner to William Crain's and Mahlon Pettit's land; thence principally by the latter south fifty-three degrees and fifteen minutes west forty-four chains and ninety links to a stone in Benjamin Small's line and corner to late Joseph Gardner's land .....”

Obviously, these are very rare, and finding one has been on my agenda for quite some time. So this afternoon I teamed up with woodjin to look for one that a while back I noticed on an old survey map. After some semi serious bushwhacking we arrived to find exactly what I had hoped to find.

IMG_0187.JPG

I would assume it came from Hampton, Batsto, Martha, or one of the other furnaces in the immediate area, and because of that I am quite thrilled to have found it. Obviously, I will never know; however, it is still interesting to speculate.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very cool!
It looks old, do you know how long ago it was placed?

No idea, but if it was from a local furnace all we need to know is the date the last one was in operation. Obviously, that would not tell us when it was placed there, but we would know the age of it.

Guy