A Pine Barrens Mystery

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I came across this on ebay. I wonder whatever happened to him. An internet search didn't provide any further detail, except an article in the Asbury Park Press from 1933, I don't have a subscription so I couldn't access the article. They state the car was found 5 miles south of chatsworth. Chances are that most of us have been in the exact spot that photo was taken. I wonder if his body is still at the bottom of some forsaken mudhole deep in the woods....placed there by some scorned bootleggers who took it to their graves.

Maybe Jerseyman, with his vast archives of information knows more. http://www.ebay.com/itm/391442623093?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
BTW five miles south of chatsworth is in the hog wallow vicinity. The photo looks like pine plains however, it is difficult to tell. The photo may not depict the location that his car was found.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very interesting Jeff. Nice find. Prohibition was bad for everyone, as is making a crime out of a taking a toke.

Looks like the gentleman took an underground vacation in the pine barrens and never returned.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Pretty cool find woodjin and Broke Jeep Joe. Anyone else think there are many people like this gentleman who disappeared for similar reasons at this time?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Had just read this last week.

New Jersey Courier 8 Feb 1924
CHATSWORTH HOOCH CAUSES ONE DEATH, ANOTHER ILL

Whiskey, of the Chatsworth "block and fall" variety, is blamed for the death of William CHAMBERLAIN, 68 years old, cranberry picker on the bogs of the Applegate Land and Improvement Company near Chatsworth. The man died at his home after being stricken on Sunday morning. It was said by Chatsworth residents that he had been in a drunken party the night before. Another man is seriously ill from the effects of some of the same hooch, . . .

. . . . . . unfortunate that bootlegging around Chatsworth has been rampant for some time, and it is expected that action will be taken to clean up that vicinity.