A smokey weekend

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The last 2 weekends they were burning the rye strips and fields in the Greenwood tract, both sides of rt 539. I asked if they planned on burning any woods between the fire breaks. Yes if he weather permits but said the ground is so damp it wouldn't burn well so that's why they were concentrating on the rye strips. Yesterday they were burning the woods in the area of the 50 fields but it was more smoldering than burning. Areas in the burn didn't burn well and what did burn was more charred than burned. As in years past they're way behind schedule.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
They definitely dont burn like they used too. Whole big blocks woukd be burnt which is good for the pines. Now they barely burn the leaves off the ground. Guy did they burn just the big field at howardsville?

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to assume they just burned the field. I did not see anything else burnt.

Last edited:

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
They had burned the woods along 539 to howardsville a few years ago but it was hardly anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Their time window is short, then weather, snow, rain, high winds. I remember the big burns in years past but think the possibility of getting out of control and turning into a forest fire which has happened is a limiting factor why you don't see that now.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Saw on the b10 website a link to nbc 10 for a control burn done in penn state. It looked to be up to the crowns in the trees. They have not burnt there in years. Anyone know exactly where ths was?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I heard earlier they were going to burn quite a bit of Penn State.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy that makes sense. They spent all fall fixing and widening roads north of lake Oswego. I did some hiking there this year. The plains keep getting taller and taller.