Abandoned Bogs South of Atsion on 206

relayer

Explorer
Does anyone know the story on what appear to be abandoned cranberry bogs on the west side of 206 just south of Atsion. If that is what they are it's a pity that all that effort is being lost in an era when cranberries seem to be in big demand.

Thanks

relayer

relayer

Explorer
hmm, they are near Dutchtown. Sounds good to me. I take it they were abandonded due to poor sales of cranberries.

I am however,mystified at the slump. Seems like there's more cranberry product than ever out there. Or is that a regional thing? That I could beleive since I've encountered folks in Florida who see cranberry as a color and nothing more.

relayer

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The price of cranberries have dropped, as has their popularity. Ocean Spray has been experimenting with adding cranberry to various other flavor juices, which is why you see a number of different juices that contain cranberry.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As always when bogs are owned by the state of NJ they are abandoned. Over the years they have been owned by F E and C B Haines, Edith L. Haines (1948 sale), The Hammonton Cranberry Improvement Company to Joseph Wharton ( 11/1/1888 sale), George Greene who I believe was erroneously reported to have owned Rockwood, Charles Matlack, Mary Armstrong, James L. ??????, Martin P. Gray, the National Cranberry Company, the ever disputed Pop Park, and most likely Andrew Rider.