abandoned house on 532

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
Anyone know the stroy behind the abandoned white house on 532 near tabernacle and chatsworth border. I believe the guys name was Morris Sklar. I found tax envelopes bills and checks all over the place from the 1970's. Anyone know anything?

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
no there was a box that said taxes outside and had his name on all sorts of things. It appears its been vacant for at least a couple of decades and has no signs or anything around it. It is surrounded by state forest completely

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Anyone know the stroy behind the abandoned white house on 532 near tabernacle and chatsworth border. I believe the guys name was Morris Sklar. I found tax envelopes bills and checks all over the place from the 1970's. Anyone know anything?

That house is a puzzle isn't it. I stood on 72 Eastbound across from it looking for movement about 4 years ago. It had a car parked in the yard, didn't it? Like an old plymouth reliant or something like that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That house is a puzzle isn't it. I stood on 72 Eastbound across from it looking for movement about 4 years ago. It had a car parked in the yard, didn't it? Like an old plymouth reliant or something like that.

Are you referring to the same house? This one is near Tabernacle and not 72.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Are you referring to the same house? This one is near Tabernacle and not 72.

Guy

Whoops.

No, its not the same. I misread it. The one I am speaking of is where route 532 and route 72 intersect by old Claytons. By the way, it never occurred to me that 532 uses 72 for a stretch.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have been around that old house. Prudential had a for sale sign there for a bit, and I called, didn't recieve a return call and two days later the sign was gone. The house is in very sorry shape. Dangerous. When the sign was up I took a good look around. It has already been subject to major vandalism and the elements have destroyed everything. The location should not be disscussed in too much detail. I will leave it up to Ben to decide if too much info has already been given as to it's location.

Jeff

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
yeah sorry about that I didn't think of possible problems that could lead to. Very strange though I always noticed it driving by if I was a passenger in a car. You pretty much have to be gazing into the woods to spot it. I never took closer notice of it till recently. Just confused me why so much was left behind

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You all ever go by a house in a neighborhood, and there is clearly people living inside, and yet the curtains are just gray colored rag-like things (used to be white), and the yard is so trashed up its pathetic? I really wonder about people like that. Its hard to put things in perspective, to be in their shoes. Its sad. God Bless the downtrodden, and those with troubles and mental strife.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
You all ever go by a house in a neighborhood, and there is clearly people living inside, and yet the curtains are just gray colored rag-like things (used to be white), and the yard is so trashed up its pathetic? I really wonder about people like that. Its hard to put things in perspective, to be in their shoes. Its sad. God Bless the downtrodden, and those with troubles and mental strife.

I hear you Bob, I see this pretty often.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
What are you guys talking about? Do you think real pineys have white lace curtains and well landscaped yards? Guess again...

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Sue,
I was referring to areas all over NJ where you see terrible living conditions. Houses that get so bad they become taken over and bulldozed because they are so far gone. I sincerely don't think Bob was knocking the pines. I have nothing but respect for the people in the pines.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Of course Bob wasn't knocking the pines, who loves pineys more then Bob? LOL Most pineys lived a certain way that is mostly extinct today. When I explain things some people get offended. They have their own beliefs on certain things and refuse to listen to someone who actually lived that life. I guess everyone is entitled to their fantasys. My up coming book tells it the way it was believe it or not. If the book is a success, another book will follow called "Thirty-three Years at Sooy Place". I am now one chapter short of completing my Friendship book called, "Only Friendship: Today & Yesterday". If printed it will under the name of Margaret Loringer. Plexus has had the beginning packet for three weeks now. I am still waiting to hear from them.

Sue,
I was referring to areas all over NJ where you see terrible living conditions. Houses that get so bad they become taken over and bulldozed because they are so far gone. I sincerely don't think Bob was knocking the pines. I have nothing but respect for the people in the pines.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I have often wondered about this myself, and have to laugh. I guess I am an exception to the rule. There are of course other exceptions to the rule where categorizing is concerned.
All I can do is offer what I have seen and lived. Of course some pineys did not live in the junky surroundings discribed earlier, but many did. Town ordinences were slack years ago compared to now. Town population was much less with a different type of people living a different type of life style. Alot of people did not graduate high school due to large families and having to get out and earn a living to survive. Education was put on a back burner due to simple survivel. Poverty is a very complex cycle which often seems there is little or no escape. Today there are opportunities offered that didn't even exist years ago. When education and opportunities are almost nonexistent, a whole new can of worms are opened. With this can of worms comes substance abuse, and distortion of priorities, thus a lifestyle society frowns down upon. Outsiders, outcast or pineys, where does the difference lie?

I don't know, Sue. How many "pineys" would be seen using a computer or writing a book?

Categorizing a bunch of people is risky business.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Speaking as someone who is an absolute outsider to the "pineys" (I grew up in Monmouth County) from what I have seen, people are proud to be pineys. I've met old timers and new timers and they all seem happy -- happier I would say than most other people I run across.

I've seen Fred Browns house. It was a mess when he lived there, and it's a mess now. Would an outsider today look down upon that? Yes. Was Fred Brown poor by contemporary standards? Probably. Was he happy? I'm willing to bet that he was.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've seen Fred Browns house. It was a mess when he lived there, and it's a mess now. Would an outsider today look down upon that? Yes. Was Fred Brown poor by contemporary standards? Probably. Was he happy? I'm willing to bet that he was.

That is the distinction. Of course I meant the suburbs, and living conditions as a result of sickness, mental illness, divorce, prison, fatherless children etc. Where smiles and comfort are hard to come by.

Anyone who truly knows me understands I'd be happy in the pines. But once in awhile I'd wash the curtains and straighten up the yard. Then I'd go have a porkchop at Fred's. I'd bring him a 6 pack of Schmidts too, cause that was probably the beer he was used to.