Abandoned quarry- N. Jersey- Explore?

B

BarryC

All,
I was just thinking about this at work today. Across the street from my old house in North Jersey there is an abandoned quarry that I used to walk around in when we still lived up there. It's very odd.
First, the woods behind our house was an old field that was left to grow up into woods starting probably in the 1940s. The trees were Red Maple, Bigtooth Aspen, Quaking Aspen, Pitch Pine, Flowering Dogwood, Red Cedar, and I forget what else. Every year when we rototilled the garden in the spring we had to pull out more rocks out of the garden and dump them on the rock pile. If you walked through our woods and went further to the left into another patch of woods, there was a forest of Beech trees, some of them quite large. That's weird.
But even more weird is, across the street, the woods behind those houses had all oak trees with huckleberry bushes in the shrub layer! It's like Pine Barrens that turned to Oak because of lack of fire or something. The quarry was back there behind that woods. But it was different. There was some kind of white stone and I also found some tiny (half inch or smaller) quartz crystals. Someone once told us that the quarry was actually for the purpose of extracting silica sand from the ground. I don't know if that's true or not. Also, young Pitch Pines were growing up all through certain areas of it. And one house on that side of the street had a very large Pitch Pine in their front yard. It was the only older one I had ever seen in that part of the state. But one year they had it cut down for no apparent reason.
So... I was wondering if anyone would be up for a trip to explore that quarry. I was looking at the aerial photo on Mapquest, and it's still there, along with the woods around it. If we were to go, I'd like to carpool with someone with a vehicle that gets better gas mileage than mine. :wink: Of course I'd pay for gas.
The place is located in the western part of Roxbury Township, Morris County, on Hillside Avenue in Succasunna. It's just over the township line from Mount Olive Township.
Of course exploring that quarry wouldn't take all that long, and there would be lots of time to hit another area, maybe drive the Old Mine Road or something.
What does everyone think? It's just an idea, but maybe some folks would be interested.
Barry

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Barry,

I would like to go. If there's still time left, we can go to the Old Mine Road but that is quite a trip. We can also hit Waterloo Village which is a lot closer.

If anyone would like a tour of the Old Mine Road, just let me know. I would suggest an overnight since many of you are quite a distance from this area and I'm sure you would want to make the most of it.

There's plenty to see. There are some lost villages with some foundations. The view is great from Stokes and High Point State Park and also Buttermilk Falls.

Just let me know in advance as I have plenty of vacation time in December or we can make it in the Spring.

Ken

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Ken,
I was up your way around three weeks ago, Old Mine Road was closed. The road is blocked off where it goes from State Property to Federal Property. I was also up that way last January, it was closed then also, I guess they must be working on the road or something like that. I know of another way in off of exit 4 (Rt 94) off of I-80. I was also at Stokes State Forest that day, and there is a dirt road that I know of just outside of Stokes that takes you to the Cemetery just outside of Walpack right near Buttermilk Falls. I look foward to hanging out with you again in the near Future.
Jersey Jim

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
JerseyJim said:
Ken,
I was up your way around three weeks ago, Old Mine Road was closed. The road is blocked off where it goes from State Property to Federal Property. I was also up that way last January, it was closed then also, I guess they must be working on the road or something like that. I know of another way in off of exit 4 (Rt 94) off of I-80. I was also at Stokes State Forest that day, and there is a dirt road that I know of just outside of Stokes that takes you to the Cemetery just outside of Walpack right near Buttermilk Falls. I look forward to hanging out with you again in the near Future.
Jersey Jim

Hello Jim,

I wish you would've told me that you were going to be up this way. I could've showed you some of the area.

I didn't know that Old Mine Road was closed in that area. I will inquire about it.

The dirt road you inquired about is a good one. There are still some standing homes as well as cellar holes in that area. You can still also see some bear and MANY deer in the area. We also had some snow showers in the area today.

I really wish I could've attended the Weymouth tour but I couldn't get the little ones up so we just stayed local. I hope there's another get together soon before it really gets too cold down there. Up here we are already freezing.

Ken

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Hi Ken,
My trip up your way wasn't planned out, it just happened. I just jumped into my car and there I was alittle over two hours later. I might be going up that way again after the Holidays, I'm not sure yet. I will let you know if I do because I'll plan it out this time. Catch you soon.
Jim :bear: <----- Ken's neighbor

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
JerseyJim said:
Hi Ken,
My trip up your way wasn't planned out, it just happened. I just jumped into my car and there I was alittle over two hours later. I might be going up that way again after the Holidays, I'm not sure yet. I will let you know if I do because I'll plan it out this time. Catch you soon.
Jim :bear: <----- Ken's neighbor

Just keep me posted if you come up this way. Nice animated gif. That about sums it up ;-)

Also, are there still CNJ tracks in Whiting or a station?

Ken

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Ken,
Yes the tracks still run thru Whiting. The station is long gone as they built a Shopping Center there in 1980 I believe. If my research is correct, Whiting was a hub for three different R.R's. Next time you come down this way I'll show the Foundation for a round house out in Whiting if you are interested.
Jersey Jim