Aerial color question

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=38118852&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

What your looking at is the Warren Grove bombing range. Notice the red/orange color. Did they at one time use a defoliant? The area in question is not burned, but if fact the trees are just dead and brown. As with most imagery this is a few years old and there is new life returning upon close inspection.

The "Birdseye" view is great and I've been using it for some time now. It is not available for all areas. Be sure to use the rotation keys found at the upper left corner for 360* views of anywhere your interested.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I don;t think it is natural.

Interesting how it is maintained within the range boundaries.

Could be from an infrared photo which was blended into a color image.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
On a closer look in birds eye it seems to be an area that was burned.

Could be needles which turned brown from a burn and then fell to ground.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is obvious that the color is from a disturbance which can be proven in this photo. This discoloration here is from the fire at Hampton Furnace that occured in the late 90's. We were just discussing that in a recent post and Ed posted this.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/search.php?searchid=271420

hampton.jpg

Guy

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
You guys are probably correct in that for some reason the color is a result of a past fire. Notice how it's constrained by roads and sort of dies in the swamps to the SW. Notice that the color only appears on resolutions of greater than .6 miles all the way out. If you tighten up then everything appears normal. I know that this is dated imagery because it doesn't show the latest fire but Google Earth does. Does anyone know when this area burned? It appears more extensive than the Warren Grove fire of 2 years ago but I can't remember it. I am in the area in question quite a bit and I can say it is in good health.

P.S. As long as were on the subject sort of, why does the Google imagery have dark and bright imagery? Is this a result of pictures taken during the day then possibly at night? Also how do they filter out the clouds?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
P.S. As long as were on the subject sort of, why does the Google imagery have dark and bright imagery? Is this a result of pictures taken during the day then possibly at night? Also how do they filter out the clouds?

It's not so much a day and night thing, I'm pretty sure all images are done in daylight, but it is the season when the shot is taken. I have been to some places on GE that you go from grass to snow, very weird. Clouds are left in and can obscure a view.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
It's not so much a day and night thing, I'm pretty sure all images are done in daylight, but it is the season when the shot is taken. I have been to some places on GE that you go from grass to snow, very weird. Clouds are left in and can obscure a view.

Thanks, but even a time of year wouldn't the images still be lighter? Maybe something to do with the exposure? I'm not much of a camera buff but I do know you can lighten and darken shots. It's just that some detail or resolution is left out in the dark shots. As for the clouds, yes I know they obscure, I was asking how they filter them out. When I look at the sea temperature imagery it is almost always obsecured by clouds in the areas I'm interested. Also live shots showing weather have clouds.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002