Aggressive swan exiled to Pine Barrens lake

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No matter what your opinion is on this, you have to wonder how anyone could do this and not think there would be some sort of reaction to it, especially knowing it would be in the news.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Local police and the state police marine division will patrol the creek this weekend to warn riders against violating a no-wake zone or harrassing the swan and its mate, O'Brien said.

and reason prevails...

..for now...

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I have mixed feelings on this one. I may be an environmentalist, but I'm no animal rights activist, and have no great love for non-native species such as mute swans. But he's showing good judgement by attacking jetskis, so that moves him a few notches up in my book!

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Say goodbye to the swan. I know for a fact that cranberry farmers do not like swans in their bogs. This is due to the swan tearing up the vines looking for food. Many cranberry farmers shoot swans along with herons and deer. The state actually sells permits to the farmers to shoot the deer, I don't know if there is a permit for shooting the swans and herons, but they definately kill them.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Say goodbye to the swan. I know for a fact that cranberry farmers do not like swans in their bogs. This is due to the swan tearing up the vines looking for food. Many cranberry farmers shoot swans along with herons and deer. The state actually sells permits to the farmers to shoot the deer, I don't know if there is a permit for shooting the swans and herons, but they definately kill them.

I can't imagine why they would shoot herons. They don't eat plant material and wouldn't do any damage to the bogs. Also, being a migratory species (and not a nuisance one like Canada Geese) they have protection under federal laws.