Alan Mournier

Jim:

Since Mounier's book concerns New Jersey, I added it to my library soon after it came out. I have perused it once or twice, reading selected passages, and find it well written and informative. Mounier has worked in South Jersey for many years with his associate, Jack Cresson. To a great extent, this book records the duo's archaeological exploits in this area. You will enjoy it if you entertain an interest in South Jersey's indigenous people. Since my personal archaeological interests lean much more to historic than precontact sites, I enjoyed reading Richard Veit's Digging New Jersey's Past, a Rutgers University Press book published in 2002. Dr. Veit reviews various historic archaeological projects throughout New Jersey and organizes these projects under broad themes of history. In one of Veit's chapters, he details the work of Dan Silivich and his "Deep Search" metal detector group and how these folks have developed technologically advanced scientific techniques to used metal detectors on battlefields and accurately recreate the military action that occurred there. If you maintain an interest in both historic and precontact archaeology, you will not go wrong acquiring both volumes.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

P.S. For the sake of full disclosure, I did comment on and edit portions of Dr. Veit's text for the book.