All aboard.....

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Im guessing this would just be an express line with little to no stops. I usually take Transit to the city for concerts. I get on at Bay Head or Pt Pleasant, which are the last 2 stops, and havent seen any new rails in the area. I always create my own bar atmoshere on the train. People always ask if you can drink on the train.. Ive been doing it for years. Its the only way to tailgate for NYC concerts. I wonder if this train is something thats been approved already or in the works.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Im guessing this would just be an express line with little to no stops. I usually take Transit to the city for concerts. I get on at Bay Head or Pt Pleasant, which are the last 2 stops, and havent seen any new rails in the area. I always create my own bar atmoshere on the train. People always ask if you can drink on the train.. Ive been doing it for years. Its the only way to tailgate for NYC concerts. I wonder if this train is something thats been approved already or in the works.

First train makes the trip this Friday.

http://www.acestrain.com/

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Wow. This is the first I heard of this. Can you get on at any other points besides NYC? Also, quick question for you 46er.. how did you come up with your screen name? I only ask because I have a second home in the Adirondacks and have been going there since I was born. I hope to someday become a 46er (climb the tallest 46 peaks in the Dacks). Last time I checked I was a little over a halfer. My fly fishing addiction has kept me close to the rivers, but I still love me some back country. Im guessing thats what your name implies, but I could be wrong. Talk to you soon.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wow. This is the first I heard of this. Can you get on at any other points besides NYC? Also, quick question for you 46er.. how did you come up with your screen name? I only ask because I have a second home in the Adirondacks and have been going there since I was born. I hope to someday become a 46er (climb the tallest 46 peaks in the Dacks). Last time I checked I was a little over a halfer. My fly fishing addiction has kept me close to the rivers, but I still love me some back country. Im guessing thats what your name implies, but I could be wrong. Talk to you soon.

Don't know anything about the train service, should be in the link.

We had a cabin on the West Branch in Jay for quite a few years, just down the road from Fran Betters home in the Acres. Sold it in 2007, broke my heart but it was time. You are correct, I've done the 46, but not part of the 'groupies', and was working on my winter 46 when we sold the place. Pic of the cabin on a day like today, there were just a lot more of them :D

14953899.jpg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Beautiful place. My cabin is off the Chestertown exit (exit 25). I do a lot of nights at the south meadow camping and fishing the West Branch. Frans place is historic.. stinks he's selling it and his health has been deteriorating. Congrats on all 46! Im only 29 so I still have a chance at the other half if the fishing doesnt get the best of me. Do you fish at all? Ive always wanted to fish the dream mile on the Ausable on the Hungry Trout's property. Nice chatting with you. Im sure you'll be seeing more of me on this site.. I just joined.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow. This is the first I heard of this. Can you get on at any other points besides NYC?

I posted some info about this about a week ago in another thread: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showpost.php?p=60050&postcount=34

Trains will depart New York Penn Station, pulled by an electric locomotive. After stopping at Newark Penn Station, trains will proceed down the Northeast Corridor bypassing all stations until they reach Shore Interlocking at Frankford Junction in north Philadelphia, at which point a diesel-electric locomotive attached to the other end of the train would take over, bringing the train over the non-electrified Atlantic City Line.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Beautiful place. My cabin is off the Chestertown exit (exit 25). I do a lot of nights at the south meadow camping and fishing the West Branch. Frans place is historic.. stinks he's selling it and his health has been deteriorating. Congrats on all 46! Im only 29 so I still have a chance at the other half if the fishing doesnt get the best of me. Do you fish at all? Ive always wanted to fish the dream mile on the Ausable on the Hungry Trout's property. Nice chatting with you. Im sure you'll be seeing more of me on this site.. I just joined.

Are you near Hornbeck's? I have one of his boats and need to get up there for some parts to renew it. Yes, I do quite a bit of fishing, fresh and salt. The cabin was in the bush country, we had 300' on the river, but I really enjoyed the brookies in all the small streams more than the West Branch. Fran's old place is an institution, I wish he had kept that location instead of moving to the new one, but the food is good there :) He tried to retire once several years ago, but had some problems with getting rid of the shop and took it back. I did a lot of partridge hunting as well. Nice country up that way and the Moose have returned in a big way. Good chatting with you.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Haa.. Hornbeck's. My uncle has a nice place 2 doors down from Hornbeck (which is actually a good stretch down the road). About 20 years ago my father and uncle only had a lean-to on the property and left a candle burning one night when they went cross country skiing under a full moon. Big mistake.. they came back to 100 foot flames. Even their car keys were in the fire. The closest neighbor at the time was Hornbeck, so they went over to his place to warm up and call the proper authorities. Now there's a nice A-frame on the property there in Minerva/Olmsteadville. Our place is closer to Brant Lake. We have some river frontage on the Schroon River. I know what you mean about the brookies. Nothing like those streamside hikes for the little guys. Anyway, I wish I could afford one of Hornbeck's guide boats. Man are they nice looking for a one man boat. Little ot of my price range right now though. Talk to you soon.
Mike

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now there's a nice A-frame on the property there in Minerva/Olmsteadville. Anyway, I wish I could afford one of Hornbeck's guide boats. Man are they nice looking for a one man boat. Little ot of my price range right now though. Talk to you soon.
Mike

I used to deer hunt in Minerva, a fellow that my father worked with had a family place up there.

I was fortunate to pickup the Hornbeck used at the Jersey Paddler in Brick at half the price of a new one. Placid Boat Works are the REALLY expensive ones, good looking but expensive.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
The Jersey Paddler is right by my house now in Brick. We should be closing on our house in Forked River next month though. Its in the Bamber area.. Im very excited. Talk to you soon.