Amatol on earth

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
I was exploring Google Earth and found this to be really fascinating. Im sure that some of you have stumbled across this before.
Im sure most of you have seen this before:
http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/p-179_Amatol_New_Jersey.html
Apply that to this:
http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/watchingtrainsgoby/photos/1394960 (sorry thats the only place I can upload photos at work.)

After careful observation you can find just about all the roads and then you get this:
http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/watchingtrainsgoby/photos/1394961

I know a bunch of you are already aware of this and some have already been. Im just amazed at how clear, even today almost 100 years later, the roads still are.:v:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Been discussed many times, but your post was one of the better ones with the multiple maps. Nice!

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Are there any photos of Amatol as it was?

And (this may sound silly) what happened to all the buildings? I know there are soem remains, but not many at all. Or am I mistaken?

Now that I think of it, I have done next to no research on this ghost town of my back yard.

Are there any photos of Amatol as it was?

And (this may sound silly) what happened to all the buildings? I know there are soem remains, but not many at all. Or am I mistaken?

Now that I think of it, I have done next to no research on this ghost town of my back yard.

Pinelandpaddler:

Someone has digitized the entire original Atlantic Loading Company 1918 book about Amatol and it can be found here:

http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/amatol_book_home.html

This book includes maps, plans, and photographs of the works as well as text about the construction and operation of the plant.

I still can't believe I missed a copy of this book several years ago on ebay that went for $78.00!!! :bang:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That book is very interesting. If you look at the overall site diagram on page 13 and then compare with the satellite imagery you can still see the rail lines connecting the town with the plant to the west, and most of the sidings associated with the bunkers there.

Folks:

I should also mention that the A.M. Simon Post Card Company of New York City published a set of black & white post cards of Amatol as well as a set for Belcoville. I have the complete set of Amatol cards in my post card collection, but only one or two of the Belcoville cards, which seem much harder to find for whatever reason. I also have a real photo post card showing the aftermath of a fire that struck one of the barracks at Amatol. The really neat thing about this post card is that it features a very rare Amatol Post Office cancellation on the reverse! Needless to say, I was very happy to acquire this gem!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Oct 25, 2006
I know that about 80% of the speedway area is in a WMA area, the other 20% belongs to a gun club with very big no trespassing signs, prosecute to the fullest, but, can anyone chime in about the town site, is that private property ?

I know that about 80% of the speedway area is in a WMA area, the other 20% belongs to a gun club with very big no trespassing signs, prosecute to the fullest, but, can anyone chime in about the town site, is that on private property ?

Jim:

I can't honestly answer your question about public and private lands, but your mention of the speedway area brought memories flooding back of my father's stories when as a small boy he accompanied his father on several visits to the track. He said the superelevated wooden track made so much racket with the cars running at speed, it hurt his ears. He never attended an actual race; his father only had interest in the informal time trials. It must have been amazing to see those big-wheeled Oldsmobiles and other racers tearing around that track and suffering frequent blow-outs from nailheads that vibrated up out of the wood from the speeding cars.

Alas, another lost chapter in South Jersey's history!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Have a walk in the area. You can see some of the best ruins on the WMA. :)

Unfortunately, there is a huge amount of garbage there, (why the heck do people use that for such a dumping ground, I do not know), but it's worth the trip anyway. There are still buildings and foundations there from both the town and later the speedway.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
snapshots of the town of Amatol
libertycourt.jpg

kstreet.jpg

amatol.jpg

Pouring and cooling facility as it looks today
ruins.jpg

conveyer.jpg

The Amatol Speedway
track.jpg

speedway.jpg

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
From what I have read, EVERYTHING was salvaged. Telephone poles, lumber, rails and rr ties, everything. Actually, the foundations and cooling buildings all look pretty much intact, if not a bit weather-worn. I was shocked at how many platforms and buildings that are left standing. the wooden structures were removed leaving the concrete. The pouring and cooling buildings were made of very very thick cast concrete to divert explosions up rather than out (must have been GREAT working there), and many are still there. Concrete wasn't what it is today, but they have actually held up pretty well.

Amatol Images

Folks:

Here is the set of twelve post cards that the A.M. Simon Company published of Amatol:

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

The last two images are of the obverse and reverse of the real photo card showing the aftermath of a fire in one of the barracks.

Obverse:

watermark.php

And the reverse, showing the Amatol Post Office CDS (circular date stamp):

watermark.php

The Amatol Post Office operated for less than a year, between 7 August 1918 and 5 July 1919, hence the rarity of surviving Amatol-canceled mail.

I hope you enjoy these images!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Jerseyman. Thanks for posting them.

The town seemed dreary.

Guy