Amatol

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I live just a few miles from the site of Amatol. There used to be a historical marker (sign) for it, somewhere along Moss Mill Road (Mullica Township, Atlantic County). I have a picture of the marker, but it has since been stolen. Is there anyone here who has found any foundations, or railroad beds or clearings from Amatol? And how about the dirt oval that is left over from the racetrack? Anbody seen that? I'd like to look around, but since there are a few miles of woodlands along Moss Mill Road out that way, I don't know where to look, and it seems like a lot of the woods out that way are privately owned. I wonder if a good place to start would be directly behind the old administration building on Route 30. If I could find the spot on Moss Mill Road that is behind that building, maybe that would be close.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Barry

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
Barry,

I didnt know you lived near sweetwater. Do you know anyone there? I kept my boat there a long time and was a member of the Sweetwater Yacht Club...even ran the website.

Some names you might know... Frank Vesey... Leo Greenwald... Rocky Montana... Vick Masso... Ralph Leek (You must know the Leeks)

Spent many days there... know the area well.

Maybe the next time Im there, I'll give you a ring... how do I reach you?

Robert Blanda
Owner
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I'm actually on Darmstadt Avenue, less than a mile off Route 30 (between 30 and 561). The only people in Sweetwater that I know are my mom's cousins who live on a little road off of Thurston Avenue (which is off of Pleasant Mills Road). I see them once or twice a year, if that much. But I explore all the time, mostly on weekends.