American elm is trying to get out of the shadow of past diseases

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Wow! I had no idea we had resistant cultivars. That's a great thing. I'll look forward to seeing the first elm tree. :)
We lived in an Elm lined street (as so many people did) called Elm Place. Yes, really. This is a photo of my Mom in the 50s with those trees in the background. Hard to believe they were wiped out all at once like that.
Mominthesnow.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a 50's photo! That is a great photo if it is. Who had color back then, or did you have it altered?

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It was actually on slide film and yes, there was color back then. Those things preserve perfectly. My sister is a photographer and had access to whatever equipment it took to scan it in.

It's so fresh and crisp, it almost brings her back. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I knew there was color, I just never knew anyone who had it. Everyone I know used B&W.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
My dad was big into photography (he traveled the world) so we have tons of slides. He had good equipment and I think his company bought him slide film. Never thought of that as being unusual then, but I guess it was!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have quite a large number of Kodachrome slides which my Dad took in the 1950's. Also a lot of color slides that he took in the South Pacific during World War II. I think it was quite common for people to take color pictures back then.

As a kid growing up in St. Louis during the 1950's, our beautiful tree-lined suburban street was also wiped out by the disease.