Another Deer Tick Disease

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
....What other option is there?
My choice is to keep doing what I do.
Between work and pleasure I am good for 20-30 partially to fully embedded ticks per year, no exaggeration. The ones I just pick off are too numerous to count. I only spray Off for chiggers in the late summer season and that's it.

I truly believe that all of the exposure has built an immunity in my system to Lymes. Whether or not it will protect me from this new bug will have to be seen.
It doesn't sound like a very real threat at this point.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I use the "Teegate" method (lint brush), and permithrin in spring and fall. I can't lock myself in my room, I just take reasonable precautions and enjoy the pines.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I feel the same way Scott.They could probably make a Lyme's vaccine out of my blood.Mom picked 80 ticks off of me one day when I was nine back in 73.Had been running around in the game reserve all day.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I agree with Scott and Al. I actually don't put any bug spray on just make sure I check thoroughly and make sure I get the ticks off me while I'm in the field. I find the core barrens aren't as bad ticks wise, as cape may and cumberland counties, chiggers are worse though. With that said I sometimes wonder if I have lymes because of the arthritis and joint issues I have, but I think that is from the chemo/rads. I guess I can always sit inside like a vegetable like most people my age and not have to worry about ticks.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have arthritis too but it is in areas I twisted and fractured when young.I agree that the ticks are worse down here then in the core area of the barrens but in the case of chiggers I'd have to disagree,I'd say a tie:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Basically, this is a great method to get them off you and to quickly go over your clothes even if you don't see them. No need to even touch them if you prefer not to do that.

brush.JPG

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I must admit, after the first report on this, I was a little skeptical. But, then I tried this method on ticks, more than once (including nymphs), with good success.

But this past spring, when my daughter noticed many of the red spots on her leg were "moving", I quickly dug out the lint brush, told her to get out of the truck... and proceeded to brush off all the chiggers onto the lint brush. She ended up with no bites at all. From then on, the lint brush was a staple in my pack! Thanx, Guy.

John-

Pottsy

Jun 8, 2012
WOW. That pic kind of gave me the chills. Definitely putting this little gem of a trick in my back pocket. Thanks!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Basically, this is a great method to get them off you and to quickly go over your clothes even if you don't see them. No need to even touch them if you prefer not to do that.

brush.JPG
This is probably rude to reply to such an old thread. But I can't contain myself. This pic is awesome! The sticky roller thing is a genius idea and one I won't ever forget.
I go out with a white drag cloth often to collect ticks just to see what's out there, and I rarely come up with any here, and so far, only one species. This is such a bounty! I see mostly Amblyomma americanum (lone star tick) but it also looks like you have one or two Dermacentor variabilis, (American dog tick) too. Maybe there are some Ixodes there, too!? I wish I could get a closer look at that sheet to be sure!

Sorry. Apparently I have a compulsive need to identify ticks. Sometimes my geek flag just has to fly.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Hunterdon Medical Center recently discovered a new disease that can be transmitted by Deer Ticks. We have to be more concerned with our safety, as the list grows longer for tick born diseases, and put more effort into protecting ourselves. What other option is there?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...-in-u-s-diagnosed-with-new-deer-tick-disease/
Argh! The photo in this article has three different species- The only one that's the deer tick is the bottom one.

Reactions: Gibby

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I forget where I got it from (here perhaps?) but that lint roller trick is great and I've been using it for a while. Between dog hair and ticks I always keep one in my truck. I normally spray myself down before entering brush but it is sometimes an impromptu thing and the lint roller comes in handy. Incidentally, last I heard, they are now being referred to more often as black-legged ticks than deer ticks in the snooty scientific circles. They've been determined to be the same species and since the black-legged name is apparently older they went with that. In the end, getting the scientific name right is the only thing that matters. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The roller will work if they are not sucking on you. If they are, it might just pull the body off and leave the head to fester. You'll know from the itching in a couple of days. Cover up and use permethrin, dead in .60 seconds :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A closer view.

Attachments

• ticks.jpg
    ticks.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,091

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro had been complaining about occasional bouts of hives and strange pains for couple of years. This past summer she read an article in the Wall Street Journal about Johns Hopkins researchers trying to find the cause of some patients undergoing cancer therapy having symptoms not shared with others of their group. Common cause was found to be tick bites. Ro told our immunologist about it, he said he had two patients cases of that, had Ro tested, and VOILA! she had the same infection. Turns out infection results in protein that reacts when she eats beef. Other people have it worse and can't eat any mammal meat. No cure as yet. It's like some people who can't eat shellfish.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
A closer view.
Ah, thanks! It is hard for me to tell even from this if some of the smaller ones are deer ticks. I think I do see one on top, but can't be sure. My piney experience tells me lone star ticks (Amblyomma americanum) are most common down there and they CAN carry Lyme disease, believe it or not, as well as several other nasty things.