Another Pines Plains Hike !! UPDATE

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Saw this today in my email.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who has not been through the Plains. It's a different world out there.
My only concern would be that 6 miles in three hours is a pretty good clip for a mixed group. It might look like the scene when Clark Griswold and his son Rusty took in the Grand Canyon in under a minute in Vacation. :)

I wonder if there will be a tailgate party afterwards ?? :D

The text of the message:

Join us on February 8 to hike in the burn zone of the Spring Hill Wildfire.

The hike will be nearly 6-miles and take place in Bass River State Forest “North” which encompasses the West Pine Plains Natural Area and the “Pygmy Pines” – the world’s largest acreage of this globally rare forest community.

This volunteer-led hike will depart promptly at 1 p.m. and will end at approximately 4 p.m.

The hike will meander along sand roads and trails near the NJ Forest Fire Service’s Coyle Field in Woodland Township, Burlington County.

The hike will be almost entirely through portions of the forest that was burned in the March 2019 Spring Hill wildfire. You will be able to see first-hand the regeneration of the forest that has occurred in the 10 months since the fire as well as the devastation that the fire wrought. One participant on a earlier hike through this area remarked that “It was like hiking on Mars.” Several sections of the hike will be through places where the mature trees are scarcely taller than the hikers themselves and in some places are not. The hike will traverse several ridges that will provide fantastic views of the surrounding area which is a rarity for this part of the state. This is especially true now since the fire removed almost all of the vegetation which previously blocked the views.

Participants must be at least 10 years of age.

Service animals only are permitted.

Wear appropriate clothes and shoes.

Wear clothes you do not mind getting ash and soot on.

Bring plenty of water and snacks.

This hike is not ADA accessible.

There are no restrooms or drinking water available.

The hike will be cancelled if there are thunderstorms in the area or if heavy rain/snow is falling. Light rain/snow will not cancel the hike.

Registration is required and is capped at 25 participants.

To register or for more information, contact the Bass River State Forest office at 609-296-1114.

MEETING LOCATION: N 39 49.238 W 74 25.819 which is located along NJ 72 at the WESTERN BOUNDARY of Coyle Field. The meeting location is approximately 10.3 miles east of the intersection of NJ 72 and NJ 70 and approximately 3.4 miles west of the intersection of NJ 72 and Ocean County Road 539 and just west of Mile Marker 10.5. Parking is along NJ 72. There is no street address for this location.

burn.JPG

Enjoy !!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
RT = D
R3 = 6
R = 2 mph. A common rate for hiking on the sand trails, but as you say, there will be stragglers and stopping for interesting things. It will add at least an hour, maybe 2.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
First and second hike filled up (25 people each), and they added a 3rd hike, which also filled up, and even a few people on a waiting list.
Same email list, I see Wharton is doing their Cutts Bogs Tabernacle hike 3 more times.

It seems like once they started using govdelivery to publicize the hikes, they are getting a lot more response.

For anyone interested in getting email about upcoming hikes or other events, this link is on the Parks & Forests web page:
NJ Parks & Forests - Govdelivery email sign-up
You can specify which parks and which activities you are interested in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am glad people are going there and enjoying the hikes. It is a great place. By next winter not so nice :(

Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out there today with Bob. He saw the vehicles parked along 72. Was wondering if we would run into them but we didn't.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There was also something going on at Parker Preserve at the lot off 532; lot was packed and spill over were parking on 532 shoulder. Perhaps just the nice weather, which ends tonight. :(