Another trip to Manumuskin River Preserve

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Went down to Manumuskin River Preserve last week to going hiking. Came across some interesting ruins of a milling? area I guess. Along the river trail there are maybe a dozen structures of an old town of some sort. Here are some pictures, for those of you into this stuff(not my thing),

Also there are two sizable blue lagoons, as I like to call them, didn't think they had any fish in them but this one DID,

Every time I go back to this place I come across some really big tracks of some kind of wolf, coyote, doglike creature. My hand measures 7.5 inches base of palm to middle finger, so you can see this was a pretty big print.

As for animals I saw very little, just some various birds. However got a chance to get in a five hour hike without seeing a single person or beer can so I considered it a success.
Chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report!!! Five hours hiking with no garbage or people is a success. Interesting furnace you photographed! I am not familar with that one off the top of my head. DEad sunfish, and what looks like a very, very large dog print. Were there human tracks near the canine track?

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Didn't see any human tracks nearby I have seen big tracks like this on several occasions. I think it is just a really big dog of some kind. Possibly a dog of someone who frequents the area often, since I seem to find these tracks regularly now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report! Those tracks are quite big.

What do you mean "not my thing"? Photo's?

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
No, I posted those photos because I know there are people on this site who are into finding old structures and things of the past in the pines. I personally am more into the reptiles and mammals that are found within the pines, but I did find the buildings interesting enough to take a few pictures.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
that is an old chimney that had a house around it at one time.just north of this chimney is another chimney which was part of the fries mill tavern and this was still satnding to ten years ago.it had an old piano in it then too.the cabin was made of cedar which the logs are still there collapsed.we use to go in as kids at camp hollybrook and they told us it was haunted and took us there at night to scare us.it worked.their is another foundation north of that one too.the lagoons are sand washes(old sand mines) that were working till about 10 years ago.this whole area is a wonderful place.it"s definitely barrens like and its close to home for me anyway.theirs fresh water springs and more foundations over near menantico too.
Al

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah there were lots of buildings along that trail these two were in the best shape. It was funny there was lots of cactus and sub tropical plants around these buildings I guess someone at one time planted them there. Manumuskin have you ever seen any interesting herps down there. I have only been down there once in the summer, rest of my visits have been in the fall and winter. I found a good size vernal pool in the back of the preserve, and with all the debis from the sand mining company I figured it would be a good spot to find some snakes. I also wonder if there are down there?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i was friends with bill smith a volunteer wildlife biologist at the preserve.sadly he dies last year of a heart attack in his 50"s.he used to run lines of snake traps out there aome of which are still there though the traps are disabled and starting to rot now the fence is still up.i occasionally checked his traps too and i can say from what he told me and what i found this area has a very well represented herp fauna as good as any the barrens has to offer.of course i cant give out den locations and such but the area is a herp nirvana.watch it though,bill chipped many snakes out there and i do believe someone else i dont know who has filled his shoes and monitors the snakes,especially the threatened species.many snakes out there are wandering around with 666 in their tummies right now.I"m against this myself but their not my snakes.
Al

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah for some reason I feel like Manumuskin has alot to offer. Something about the place intrigues me. The few amount of times I've been there I have found both the species I was looking for (). The place seems to have it all sandy wasteland, marshes, sphagnum bogs, vernal pools, piney forest, and towards the back you see alot of decidious trees. One thing I like about hiking in cumberland county is that there aren't any areas that are overpopulated. When I go down there I feel like I'm in the sticks which is the feeling I want. Manumuskin I wouldn't want you telling me where den sites are, just like I wouldn't tell mine. I'm strictly against collection, just taking pictures so I shouldn't have to worry about rangers and those things. Also Manumuskin is owned by the Nature Conservancy I wasn't aware that you had to call them before you go hiking there. Is this true? I do see sometimes that areas are closed which change from time to time. The best part about the place is I seem to be the only person there all the time which I really enjoy.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
manumuskin

Perhaps we could set up a hike in the spring. I have not looked in Cumberland much and would like to give it a try. I have found pines in Atlantic, Burlington,Ocean and Camden County but would never post the locations. I would be interested in a group hike to my favorite places with fellow enthusiasts who share the same preservation values of "pics only" though. I've been hiking/herping the pines for 20 years and it is always a rush to see a big pine laying out in the sun or even a scarlet snake under refuse.

Thanks,
Kyle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
no you do not have to call the nature conservancy to hike there.they have made designated hiking trails hoping the masses will stay on them.they do not encourage off trail travel but it is not illegal.their are signs posting some areas closed because of endangered or threatened species.I"ve been approached by a nosy person out there who claims to be a caretaker who later i found out was not officially but is allowed to police the area because he runs off dirt bikes that are definitely not allowed.so he is allowed to play policeman because he scares them off.once he is certain you are a hiker and not a dirt biker,collector or woodcutter or terrorist he will back off.he used to be a state trooper hence the attitude.he lives basically on nature conservancy property.
basically if you dont break any laws though you can go where you want.herping isnt illegal till you attempt to take home critters or dig into dens ot attempt to remove artifacts.
Al

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The area that was last time I was down there was within close proximity to where I found the snake. Seems odd that they would close an area, seems like a dead give away as to were endangered species may be. I have yet to encounter a ranger or any human for that matter. As for the dirt bikes he needs to do a better job I have seen tracks around the sand wash ponds quite frequently. I have also heard them on one occasion.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Krloucks said:
Perhaps we could set up a hike in the spring. I would be interested in a group hike to my favorite places with fellow enthusiasts who share the same preservation values of "pics only" though.

I'd definatly be interested in this hike if it actually happens. I've had intentions to get to manumuskin for a few years now but it never seem to get there.

Also, Al--if i recall correctly we had intentions of herping a while back--we should do that this year.

-Bob