Any Photobucket users?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is a hot topic on many forums right now. All of a sudden pictures just vanished and were replaced with the third party hosting warning. For example, here's a thread from gpsreview: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30952/drive-units-add-new-trip-data-options

They made a strong statement that they just don't want to be used as an image resource for the internet. So if you don't get the $480/yr account, they will block any images embedded on other websites.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hoping its not the start of a trend; $480/yr is over the top. I pay $23/yr for PBase, have been using it since 2002. Increased in cost once, about $5 /yr.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Does pBase allow you to embed photos on forums like njpb? I can appreciate why photobucket doesn't want to support this because there's really nothing in it for them and according to that article it amounts to 75% of the load on their servers. So they are using punitive pricing to stop people from doing it. But they could have handled the transition a lot better and given people a bigger advance notice.

I have three different websites and one of them includes unlimited storage and downloads. All together they are considerably less than $480/year. :)

Reactions: RednekF350

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does pBase allow you to embed photos on forums like njpb?

Yep, they even provide a pregenerated URL to do so. From their site;

"Direct Linking
Direct linking is the use of a particular image or multimedia file on another website by linking directly to it on another web host's server.

For example, if you want to post an image on another forum, a direct linking URL (found on the edit image page) can be used to display that image via the PBase server on another website or forum.

An easy way to find the direct linking URL for your images is to go to the edit image page and see the 'direct linking URL' at the top right of the screen."

130709707.jpg

I have a free Flickr account as well, also allows embedding but it is a bit cumbersome; rarely use it anymore.

I keep any photo posted to those 2 sites in separate folders, just in case :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
The bad publicity will kill them. Guessing it's nearly impossible for users to undo the damage without paying their ransom. Not only would you have to re host every image, you would have to edit every post that contained the images. I dont use them but am still affected because threads I follow are now image less...

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have photobucket explicitly for putting images here.I haven't checked to see if they've screwed up my posts.If they have the moderators may delete them at no offense to me.I definitely am not paying the ransom and have no intention of trying to find everything and save it.If they mess my stuff up I"ll be abandoning photobucket.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I received the email the other day. "Bammmm ! You are done !" is the condensed version.

This is the impetus for me to set up something else. I had posted here about this a few months ago because Photobucket seemed to be going down the toilet back then.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I received the email the other day. "Bammmm ! You are done !" is the condensed version.

When was "the other day"? This has been a hot topic since somewhere around July 1 when those broken images started appearing everywhere (see the link I posted, which is dated July 1). Did they actually notify you of this after they disabled your images? I think the full version of the e-mail must have said "Bammmm! You are done! And by the way, FU and don't let the door slam on your *** as you leave." :p

But seriously, it's outrageous that they would make a major change like this without giving a month's advance notice.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We are very fortunate that this site allows us to attach photos. Comcast abandoned me when they eliminated my storage space, so I just use NJPineBarrens.com :D

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
When was "the other day"? This has been a hot topic since somewhere around July 1 when those broken images started appearing everywhere (see the link I posted, which is dated July 1). Did they actually notify you of this after they disabled your images? I think the full version of the e-mail must have said "Bammmm! You are done! And by the way, FU and don't let the door slam on your *** as you leave." :p

But seriously, it's outrageous that they would make a major change like this without giving a month's advance notice.

Email received 7-11-17 at 01:03 Boyd.
I don't know when my pics would have disappeared. I have many Photobucket postings on here.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Not here, but I'm heavily impacted on several flashlight forums, whereas I have hundreds of pictures posted.

I just don't have the time to do anything about it and PB is certainly not getting a dime of my money.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They may be doing it by when you registered with them or alphabetically or some other order. It would be impossible to hit all at once, they have a LOT of accounts.