Anybody Fly Fish?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Orvis sounds like a good place to start. I dont think Id pay money for a casting class. They're pretty expensive and you would do just fine by purchasing a casting dvd for under $20 (try Cabelas or Orvis). Then you can work on your own. When you feel comfortable, I would hire a guide to take you fishing. They will not only help you land fish and find good spots, but they will also help you with your casting and technique. This way you get to fish and work on casting for one price. As far as knots, gear, and fly hatches go, Id get some good books. Fly fishing can and will become an addiction. It can get pretty expensive too. I now have a collection of rods, being that you need a different size rod and line depending on the size of the river, lake, or salt water you are fishing. Fishing in the bay and ocean in our area can be fun, but the wind needs to be as calm as possible. As for trout fishing, there arent a whole lot of great rivers in the southern part of the state. You got the Rancocas, the Metedeconks, Toms River, and Manasquan. All are pretty tricky as far as backcasting is concerned. The further northwest you go the better. Route 31 is a great ride, as it crosses the South Branch, the Musconetcong, and the Pequest Rivers. From there you aren't too far from fishing the Delaware, or my personal favorite, the Big Flat Brook. Best of luck and let me know if I can be of any help. My go to book was the Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing. Has about everything you need to know to get started in it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have wanted to learn how to fly fish for a few years now. Any fly fishermen out there who have any tips on gear, techniques, fly tying and how to get started? I'm thinking about taking this guy's one day beginner course: http://www.ajflycasting.com/index.html

Been fly fishing for many years, self taught. My wife just started as well and took the free class at LL Bean in Marlton, same shopping center as Orvis. They have a small pond there they teach on. They had her casting in about a half hour. It is really very easy and unless your having a real problem, paying for lessons isn't necessary. Each weekend Bean has flytiers in the stare that are there to demonsrtate and answer questions. This weekend is the Pequest hatchery open house and someone is always offering lessons there, plus its a nice day out. There are also some pretty good vids on Youtube for how to cast. Another option is to contact a local Trout Unlimited Chapter, many offer free lessons, link below. If its saltwater your interested in, things are a bit different. An 8 1/2 foot rod and matching reel will get you started and is good for just about anywhere. I'd recommend Cabela's, they have beginner outfits with everything you need to get started, except waders. As for flies, Bean offers a NE fly selection, a good way to start your collection. Any questions give a shout. Good luck and have fun, trout season opens on 4/7.

NJ TU Chapters

http://www.njtu.org/

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Take it from one who is self taught. Cut the curved part of your hook off the first time you practice. I hit myself in the ear a dozen times my first try. I've seen a guy who fly fishes Batsto Lake. You might want to give it a try once you learn.
Greg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Take it from one who is self taught. Cut the curved part of your hook off the first time you practice. I hit myself in the ear a dozen times my first try. I've seen a guy who fly fishes Batsto Lake. You might want to give it a try once you learn.
Greg
Ouch. Rule of thumb for beginners or just for practicing is to tie a piece of bright colored yarn to the tip of your line so you can see where your casts are landing (no hook involved). Id also advise casting in an open field or large yard before taking your skills to the river or lake... That should keep yourself and other fishermen a little more out harms way.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
And now you may not have to travel far. The state just dedicated a new WMA in Cape May and stocked trout in its lake.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2012/12_0032.htm

I've walked this property many times over the past several years while camping down that way in the Spring and Fall. Apparently this was quite a club in its day. The buildings were removed just in the last year and there were quite a few. Rather interesting watching nature claim back the golf course in a short period of time. Some but not much has been planted to encourage a quicker return. My last recolection this past October was the lake was not in the best of shape and very grown in limiting access. May be possible they have made improvements since then. I'll be checking in out in a few weeks.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.00172676753097&lng=-74.94789361953735&z=16&type=h&gpx=

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Greg

Good advise. Some of my best lures are hanging in the trees on Batsto Lake.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Ouch. Rule of thumb for beginners or just for practicing is to tie a piece of bright colored yarn to the tip of your line so you can see where your casts are landing (no hook involved). Id also advise casting in an open field or large yard before taking your skills to the river or lake... That should keep yourself and other fishermen a little more out harms way.

Also good advise. I live right on the bay, so I can practice casting from my dock.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I wanted to take up fly fishing when I was an already an avid spinner fisherman, as a kid. My dad did some fly fishing and had me practicing in the yard. Well I saw the feral cat we had kind of taken in and thought, "there is no way I can get the cat from here" Well I managed to get the cat. I can't recall if I hooked it, or it got it's leg tangled in a Hookless plug (probably the latter) but it ran for it's life and pulled the pole from my hand. Aside from scaring the hell out of the cat, most of the guides were ripped from the pole as it dragged it. The cat was totally freaked out! Man did I get in trouble. My dad said, "it is going to be a long long time before you ever try fly fishing again". Well, he was right. Still haven't done it. It might be fun from the kayak.

Jeff