Anyone have Windows 8 or 8.1?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brother now has Windows 8.1 and I was trying to set up the mail program in it and it appears it will only work with Google, Gmail, and Exchange, and will not work with POP. If you have Windows 8 did you find it best to use Thunderbird or some other email program?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am pretty sure he will not contact Comcast to switch his account to imap. Outlook is not supported as far as I know with Windows 8.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears Outlook Express is not supported with pop and that is what he is using. With the Mail App in Windows also not supporting pop I suspect he is going to have to use another mail program such as Thunderbird.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Outlook Express disappeared with Windows Vista, superseded by Windows Mail. Version 6 was the last official release. As I said Outlook back to 2007 will work. T'Bird will not run as a Win 8 app, just as a desktop, similar to Win 7. Good luck.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"Outlook Express disappeared with Windows Vista"

And that is a good thing!

I use Comcast email and it works for me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I spent quite a bit of time today working on my brothers computer. First, my day before going there and then later I will comment on how my computer day went.

I was meeting him at his place at 7 AM and before then I wanted to retrieve my game camera which was out for two weeks. I am trying different locations trying to come up with a place to keep it this summer. Anyway, on the way down Route 70 I ran over a pet rabbit that was crossing the road with another pet rabbit. The day could not get any worse.

Tabernacle before sunrise.

IMG_4274.JPG

When I arrived near the location I found that the FFS did a prescribed burn in the area and I had concerns my camera went up in smoke. Fortunately, my tree is slightly out of the woods but it was close.

IMG_4275.JPG

Happy that I still had a camera I brought it home and loaded the files in and every one of them had something interesting to see.

error.jpg

More on the computer later.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Windows 8 is not really that bad but trying to find everything was a struggle. I can tell by the way my brother uses a computer he will not use the tiles. Our biggest problem today was trying to get the Outlook Express mail into Thunderbird. For some reason Thunderbird would not read the Identities file from OE but after over and hour of trying it strangely did. And it wasn't until later today that I realized that Comcast requires a specific port (110) for the incoming mail to work.

We also had sound issues. I put the external speaker plug in the proper one but we still had nothing. He told me later today he just randomly tried a different location and it now works. Go figure!

It took us forever even to figure out how to shut it down but once we did I found it to be fairly easy. And getting the free Norton from Comcast in was also a challenge because the 30 day McAfee virus protection apparently let a trojan in and kept forcing us to shut down. When we finally put Norton it all worked as is should.

So basically I have to admit all of our problems today was not the fault of Windows 8. Microsoft just needs to break down and allow the tile mail program to use POP.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Did you use the uninstall package from McAfee to remove it? If not, there are most likely some McAfee artifacts still in the system that may rear their ugly head. IMO, one of the best virus protection packages around is the free Avast package; Norton eats up processors like candy. Glad to see you got it all working. Comcast has good how-to info on their website and their user forums also have good info and moderators.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you use the uninstall package from McAfee to remove it? If not, there are most likely some McAfee artifacts still in the system that may rear their ugly head. IMO, one of the best virus protection packages around is the free Avast package; Norton eats up processors like candy. Glad to see you got it all working. Comcast has good how-to info on their website and their user forums also have good info and moderators.

No, but a mCAfee uninstall came up so Norton much have a way of making that happen.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Your brother should really consider switching to IMAP. POP is antiquated, and by default mail is not stored on the server. With IMAP all of the email is kept on the mail server, which means that he'd have access to all of that mail on any device he uses.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He uses one device just like me so that does not matter to him at all. He has Thunderbird working well so he is happy.