anyone with info on old house near batsto ?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
i remember many years ago there was an old house on bulltown road near batsto , closer to where belhaven lake is tho , this house used to give me the chills just pulling up in the driveway , i was down there recently and the house is gone ,but the secondary house or barn behind is still there . on live search maps the house is still standing , any one have info on what this house was and what happened to it ?i know 12 years ago this place was abanded , and still yet the creepy tree out front is enough freak you out still

Attachments

• batstohouse1.jpg
    batstohouse1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,225

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
a lot of people who live on Bulltown call it the Hope House, it's said that inside the house (or what was the house) were warm spots on the floors from it being haunted. Unfortunately I believe the house was victim of Arson. I drove by there last year and all that was left was a fenced off area where the house used to be. From what I have read, at one time it was the old site of the Bulltown glassworks, which was started soon after Herman City folded. I don't have much more information, other then the fact it's a great place to spot bucks.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
a lot of people who live on Bulltown call it the Hope House, it's said that inside the house (or what was the house) were warm spots on the floors from it being haunted. Unfortunately I believe the house was victim of Arson. I drove by there last year and all that was left was a fenced off area where the house used to be. From what I have read, at one time it was the old site of the Bulltown glassworks, which was started soon after Herman City folded. I don't have much more information, other then the fact it's a great place to spot bucks.

thats sucks , i used to have fun driving up to it and just getting out of the car you get this real erry feeling ,and chills . i was just there 2 weeks ago theres no fence nor pretty much any remains of the house at all , just the secondary one in the back , thanks for your info !!

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
yea its upsetting, a good buddy of mine lives a half mile form there on bulltown road, so we used to run through the woods by bulltown pit out to the field across from the house, there's alot of stuff around there to find, to me it seems like the whole area is spooky, a few years back they actually found a dead guy in the field across from the house, I believe the property was in his families name but I'm not positive.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
yea its upsetting, a good buddy of mine lives a half mile form there on bulltown road, so we used to run through the woods by bulltown pit out to the field across from the house, there's alot of stuff around there to find, to me it seems like the whole area is spooky, a few years back they actually found a dead guy in the field across from the house, I believe the property was in his families name but I'm not positive.

wow thats nuts , and thats one of the reasons why i love that area so much ! everything is just spooky and its awesome , growing up my girlfriends family had a camp site at bellhaven so i was down there alot , ive actually been thinking of getting my own camp site there , what else is in the area thats worth exploreing , i believe i did find that pit you were talking about , i found a pit near by a very small one , not sure if its the same one

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
honestly within the vicinity of Green Bank, there's a million great places to explore. Green Bank itself is a fine sight to see, Many of the houses are historic, if you have a copy of Heart of the Pines, I reccomend looking up green bank and lower bank, you can actually see all of the old houses in the book are still standing, some started as general stores and are now homes. Although I could tell you places to explore it's more fun to go out on your own, I would take a look at the ghost towns section under articles on the front page, you can find boat loads of information there. Martha Furnace along with Harrisville are nice sights to see, you also might want to check out Apple Pie Hill in Chatsworth.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
honestly within the vicinity of Green Bank, there's a million great places to explore. Green Bank itself is a fine sight to see, Many of the houses are historic, if you have a copy of Heart of the Pines, I reccomend looking up green bank and lower bank, you can actually see all of the old houses in the book are still standing, some started as general stores and are now homes. Although I could tell you places to explore it's more fun to go out on your own, I would take a look at the ghost towns section under articles on the front page, you can find boat loads of information there. Martha Furnace along with Harrisville are nice sights to see, you also might want to check out Apple Pie Hill in Chatsworth.

i been to furnace and all those other places i beleive , i been exploreing those woods for years and just the other day found this website and amazed by all the places on here ive been to before , i would like to look into some more of the area of green bank since i been around there so much ,so many days we takes the woods from rt 206 (out near where i live) and go out towards batsto just to get pizza from matts , it suckes he was closed all summer but i herd he had a baby ? where can i get a copy of that heart of the pines at ?

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
Yep Matt had a baby, I actually used to hunt with him and my pop when I was younger, I venture to say that any bookstore would have a copy of it, or you might even be able to check out a copy from the library. I would also check out Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey by Henry Charlton Beck, this is a great book and has tons of stories on the old towns.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Yep Matt had a baby, I actually used to hunt with him and my pop when I was younger, I venture to say that any bookstore would have a copy of it, or you might even be able to check out a copy from the library. I would also check out Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey by Henry Charlton Beck, this is a great book and has tons of stories on the old towns.

awesome ! thanks alot for the info im deff gonna go grab those books ! anything really exciteing around there that i might wanna go check out ? being laid off of work i find myself out that way like twice a week just aimlessly driving around

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
to me its all exciting, I used to go out every weekend with my dad when I was a kid so I've seen my fair share of great places, unfortunately I was little too young to remember where they are. My best advice is to get a full tank of gas, spend some time on google maps and just pick a road to drive down, it'll eventually come out somewhere and you're almost always bound to see some great stuff in the woods.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
haha im google earth way to much , ive been thru just about every trail from 206/atsion to batsto , green bank and caranzza , we actually went out to chatsworth the other night to check out the old ranger tower it was while since i been there it was good to go back , it just sucked it was 28 degrees fri night haha

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I knew that house was doomed but it hurts me to know it has finally met it's end. I really wanted the State to do something since the house symbolized the former village of Bulltown and was an irreplaceable monument to the ghost town there. It was in pretty good shape too and could have been inhabited with some work. Is the big tree still there at least?

i remember many years ago there was an old house on bulltown road near batsto , closer to where belhaven lake is tho , this house used to give me the chills just pulling up in the driveway , i was down there recently and the house is gone ,but the secondary house or barn behind is still there . on live search maps the house is still standing , any one have info on what this house was and what happened to it ?i know 12 years ago this place was abanded , and still yet the creepy tree out front is enough freak you out still

I believe that is the Voss house there. I have photos somewhere of it boarded up sometime ago. I believe Ieven seen photos of it on here somewhere. I was out ther on Friday taking pictures of the old barn after the light snow we had but im having problems with my drive to load the pictures here.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I knew that house was doomed but it hurts me to know it has finally met it's end. I really wanted the State to do something since the house symbolized the former village of Bulltown and was an irreplaceable monument to the ghost town there. It was in pretty good shape too and could have been inhabited with some work. Is the big tree still there at least?

yea the big tree is there pretty scary looking still , i have a picture of it from the pitch blackness , you cant see the tree but there is some really some wierd looking almost orb's in the picture , the light small spots is possably rain , the bigger bright ones are leaving an upward streak , kind of spooky

Attachments

• DSCN1205.jpg
    DSCN1205.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 631

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Little late

I know I'm a little late on this subject, but I too just found out about the fate of this crazy house. I went there a couple times at night and this house, the white one, really had something too it that made it extra creepy. About 3 years ago I had an urge to take some photos of that house, and for some reason, I felt like I had to do it soon. I went to the house alone and rode my bike to the bushes back by the old cranberry bogs. I checked out the red part first and although the place was really beat up, nothing really seemed too unusual. I looks like it was a barn or something, and then someone converted it to a home which had completely fallen into disrepair. It had a sandstone foundation with brick pillars in the middle holding up a huge sistered beam down the middle. I remember it being full of old doors and wood, and this last time I went, the basement was boarded up, but everything was still down there. As for the white house, I have never gotten such a strong vibe that I shouldn't be somewhere. It was like the house itself was telling me to get the hell out. It was pitch black inside and I had to find my way around with a small flashlight and used my flash to light the photos. It was honestly a really neat house, and I would have loved to fix it up, if I wasn't poor and the house didn't creep me out. When I checked out the drawers in the kitchen, there was a list on a piece of paper listing all the things that would need to be replaced when people rented it, so I can only assume that whoever owned it rented it to people. What a neat house though, as it had several rooms on the first floor, two with fireplace areas, several rooms on the 2nd floor, I think a couple with fireplaces, and an attic that had three small rooms, along with a huge, very deep, sandstone basement. I always figured it was a house built with the glassworks, but after reading Barbra S. Stull's book, she refers to it as the Voss homestead and says it was built in the late 1800's for the cranberry farm. But I haven't found any information on exact dates. It's a shame it is gone, and I'm pretty sure it was arson as well. I don't know why they spared the red building, as that will probably suffer the same fate.

Kevin

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
that place wasnt so bad , but the white house thats gone used to creep me out bad when it was there , i remember going there when i was 17 and just creeped out pulling up to it , even the area today where the house used to sit is super creepy and that old tree that used to hover the house

Attachments

• DSCN1196.jpg
    DSCN1196.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 657