Appalachian Trail - Delaware Water Gap

Mar 1, 2008
Has anybody here ever hiked the Appalachian Trail by the Delaware Water Gap? I've been wanting to hike there, so I'd appreciate any advice or experience you'd like to share.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Great Place. What type of trip are you planning- dayhike, overnight, backcountry camping or site w/ amenities? Two mountains you can climb- Mt. Minsi in PA or Mt.Tammany in PA. Bear Country. East Strousburg close by a nice college town to grab a bite or brew if that's to your cup of tee.
Amazing place if your into geology.

Mar 1, 2008
i'm planning an overnight, maybe two. i was thinking of just heading north along the AT in jersey. Would i be better off going south into pa?

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I've hiked to Sunfish Pond a couple of times. Not that far but up hill for five miles tuckers me out a bit.

Steve

Last time i went to sunfish pond, we where strapped for time and took the red trail instead of the blue, so instead of going round about and taking 5 miles ish, its basically half the hike but more of an upgrade, its amazing

Last time there a guy coming the other way had 2 bears on the trail a few mins before we came.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I grew up in an urban part of north Jersey and spent as much time as I could in the area between the Gap and Dingman's Ferry. Besides being a beautiuful part of the state, there's lots of history to explore as well. I'd often poke around the old iron furnaces, lime kilns, copper mines, etc, while taking a break from trout fishing or grouse hunting. I wish I had more time to re-visit those sites, as I didn't have the passion for history back then that I do now.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I grew up in an urban part of north Jersey and spent as much time as I could in the area between the Gap and Dingman's Ferry. Besides being a beautiuful part of the state, there's lots of history to explore as well. I'd often poke around the old iron furnaces, lime kilns, copper mines, etc, while taking a break from trout fishing or grouse hunting. I wish I had more time to re-visit those sites, as I didn't have the passion for history back then that I do now.

The now-definct railroads up there are just incredible, too. Ever been to see the Paulinskill viaduct? That alone is worth the trip. And the Manunka Chunk tunnels are also well worth a look.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
It's not near the Gap, but one place I like to hike is "The Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock" at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, it's part of the Appalachian Trail. It's alitte north of Hamburg, PA.

Hawk_Mtn_Short_Topo.Jpg

Hawk_Mtn_Short_Elev.JPG

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Either side is steep though they walk the road out of the town of Water Gap on the PA side. I attended Camp Weygat 1965 - 1968 prior to the whole tocks island/national park stuff & there is alot of stuff on the jersey side & some spectacular views...get lot's of maps and have fun...

Mar 10, 2008
I did a thru hike in 2003. PA was by far my least favorite part of the trail, to be avoided at all costs, in my opinion. Aside from the '03 hike, I used to spend a lot of time on the AT in NJ while in college. Then I found out about the much easier to get to and light years better trail in NY, specifically the Harriman state park area. There are so many great trails around there. My brother and I spent a week on various trails there never retracing a single step. Oh, and gabe almost died up there. He's not much of a planner when it comes to hiking. Not sure if it's quicker to get to from philly but it's much quicker and a better drive from AC. And you get to stop by campmor on the way.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
craig said:
Oh, and gabe almost died up there. He's not much of a planner when it comes to hiking.

You're right, I'm not good at preparing to be deceived by my friends. You guys got yours on the Mullica, if you recall. Should have dressed warmer, you should have.

Mar 10, 2008
You're right, I'm not good at preparing to be deceived by my friends. You guys got yours on the Mullica, if you recall. Should have dressed warmer, you should have.

Don't worry, next time you're out this way I'll be sure to take you into the alpine lakes wilderness in the cascades. One little slip and it's a long way down.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I did a thru hike in 2003. PA was by far my least favorite part of the trail, to be avoided at all costs, in my opinion. Aside from the '03 hike, I used to spend a lot of time on the AT in NJ while in college. Then I found out about the much easier to get to and light years better trail in NY, specifically the Harriman state park area. There are so many great trails around there. My brother and I spent a week on various trails there never retracing a single step. Oh, and gabe almost died up there. He's not much of a planner when it comes to hiking. Not sure if it's quicker to get to from philly but it's much quicker and a better drive from AC. And you get to stop by campmor on the way.

I am planning to do a AT thru hike in 2010, i can not wait