Apple iPhone

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
No thanks, I don't even own an iPod (nor would I want one).
Too much unflexibility (built in battery, can't record through line-in,etc).
I use a minidisc recorder for my personal entertainment, and have been more than pleased with it. iPods are expensive too, shelling out $300 or more for a small device like that is crazy.
iPod and it's whole craze is just a reflection of how materialistic our society is. You can waste hundreds of dollars on an iPod, or spend less than $100 for a minidisc recorder which can record to any MD anywhere.
No itunes, just mix your mp3's with free software from Winamp into great programs (like the one I use which is my version of muzak's FM1 channel - you hear it in wendys and alot of other places).
Also they have personal satellite radios, which are cheaper than an iPod.
Steve Jobs created a monster when he created iPod.
So you could shell out $500 for an iPhone, or shell out $100 for a minidisc recorder and have money left over to get a nice camera for taking photos, plus maybe even a personal satellite radio.
I am just wondering...sometimes I feel I am the only one who thinks the iPod craze has gone too far.:jeffd:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm an Apple shareholder who was fortunate enough to buy at the right time a number of years ago, so I'm really happy with the company and could buy a *lot* of iPods with my gains :)

Nevertheless, I haven't felt the need to ever buy one for myself although I've given a couple as gifts. The iPhone is very cool but I don't really want one either. One of my good friends has a Treo smartphone and is dying to swap it for an iPhone now. But after watching him, I could never own a portable device like that. It's impossible to enjoy lunch together because he can't resist checking his e-mail and voicemail constantly and he wanders around glued to that gadget all day. I'm a true computer geek, but I need to get away from it from time to time. I think gadgets like this have great potential to make you antisocial. But that's just my old geezer mentality.

Everyone else should get in line today and buy an iPhone so I can speed up my retirement plans :dance:

BTW, this is the most in-depth review of the iPhone that I've seen so far, from the Wall Street Journal. The author(s) have actually been using a fully functional one for a few weeks. I think this is going to be a huge hit for Apple...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118289311361649057.html

(Note that these articles are usually only free for a limited amount of time, so this link may stop working)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Mayor Street buys an iPhone

Philadelphia has something new to be proud of :dance:

In Philadelphia, Mayor John F. Street was among those waiting in line at an AT&T store when he was asked by a 22-year-old passer-by, "How can you sit here with 200 murders in the city already?"

Street told the man: "I'm doing my job."

The mayor then left, telling an aide to hold his spot until he returns later in the day. Earlier, Street said he liked trying new technology and the iPhone would allow him to work outside the office.

"We don't have to be sitting in City Hall to be conducting city business," he said.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I can't agree with you more Steve. The evening news eats up that nonsense. The only thing I've ever camped out for is concert tix and that was more for just hanging out all night partying