Apple Pie Fire Tower - Fence/Gate being installed?

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
upload_2016-9-5_8-18-55.png

leopold kilbasi

Sep 5, 2016
New jersey
They will not take it down it is a working fire tower. I asked permission to come up one day and the man on duty said fine no problem. As I was there he and another tower spotted smoke and I was amazed how fast it was located and trucks were on the way to the location. A very vital asset to the Forrest. However the disgusting graffiti on the tower is a shame I am glad no young kids were with me.BIle2O8gLga/

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff
I'm glad I've taken both my kids up now. They won't remember it (they were 1 and 3 last time), but at least they've been.

I talked to several of the spotters up top over the years. The one told me he came out one night and found people ON THE ROOF of the tower. If it's closed off, the miracle is really that it stayed open this long.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The problem is someone will destroy it. They did that at the Cedar Bridge tower years ago.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
We did three cleanups there this summer and painted over the graffiti each time. We picked uo four or five Tvs out there as well. FFS has gotten sick of the vandalism it seems. It's a real loss, but at least people can still go up when a FFS tower employee is on duty

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It's been that way for decades. People were shooting shot guns up through the floor a breaking into it during the '90's. It got to the point it was usually out of service. The TV's are a relatively new thing along with the graffiti.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As smoke-jumper said it is nothing new. And it will continue because people are idiots.

This person decided to climb one of the poles for the microwave tower that was there years ago. They were eventually sawed down and can be found just below the surface if you look for them.

ap1.jpg

In the summer of 1980 someone torched the building that covered Dr. Whites well and over the years his pump house and other things have been destroyed. Take notice of the burned trees.

Summer80.jpg

ap.jpg

And as we have discussed before the Cedar Bridge tower was moved because of damage to the fence and intrusions by individuals. That is me and a friend of mine but we did not damage the fence or anything else.

cb.jpg

Guy