Apple Pie Hill

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
so this girl in one of my classes was telling me about this place called apple pie hill, and then i started reading The Pine Barrens by John McPhee and it was one of the first things he mentioned!
where is it? anyone been there? i've heard good things!

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
The view is unbelievable. I can't think of any other natural place in NJ where you can see so far.
I had heard several stories of the place but have never been there until a few weeks ago.
I found it by looking at Google Earth. We parked the car and hiked the Batona trail to it. Aimlessly I might add, we were going the wrong way at first. Thanks to a hiker we met we turned around and found it a few miles later, only to learn we could have drove rite up to it, LOL. But what fun would that been.
I can't wait until I can catch a thunder storm from up there.......Mike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
so this girl in one of my classes was telling me about this place called apple pie hill, and then i started reading The Pine Barrens by John McPhee and it was one of the first things he mentioned!
where is it? anyone been there? i've heard good things!

And the first place he mentions is Bear Swamp Hill which also is interesting. But without the tower the view is poor :( You still should check that out.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Chris, the view from the top of the fire tower at Apple Pie Hill is a good reminder of the vast wilderness that we have and of the need to preserve it. It's also cool to reflect on how old these hills are. They are the remnants of sand and gravel deposits left by rivers flowing southward across New Jersey millions of years ago.

Say, did you read up on your Jersey clays?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Apple Pie Hill is one of the main places in the NJ Pine Barrens I want to get to, right up there with Forked River Mountains. Now if only I can figure out how to get there....by bus.:jd: