Are the bugs horrible overnight.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
I'm thinking of taking the sleeping bag and backpack and just hiking in somewhere off of Jackson Rd or wherever. From 7 pm to 8 am. Are the bugs bad even at night?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
There is a shift change around dusk.
Chiggers clock out and head for the bar and skeeters clock in.
Seems like the skeeters slack off around 11 pm and your home free after that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm thinking of taking the sleeping bag and backpack and just hiking in somewhere off of Jackson Rd or wherever. From 7 pm to 8 am. Are the bugs bad even at night?

I would not do it Virgos. The chiggers will nail you. You may get lucky, but why chance it?

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
why are they so bad in the pine barrens(bugs)

I spent two straight nights in the wilderness of Northwest Pa. One tic. THAT WAS IT.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I spent two straight nights in the wilderness of Northwest Pa. One tic. THAT WAS IT.

I'm from Easton, Pa and our Boy Scout camp was in the Water Gap [now part of the recreation area] We had open side Adarondack huts and the Delaware river skeeters used to perch on the foot of the army cot and fight over eating us there or dragging us back to the river...every can of 'off' was MT by the first night 'bout 10 PM!

I'd recomend a good lightweight tent & a can of 'No Stinkin' Bugs!'

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Funny, I was just up at the Delaware Water Gap today (needed a break from the flatlands :) ). What a beautiful area, definitely need to get up there more often. I walked through some underbrush and tall grass and from force of habit I cringed every time I did it. But as far as I can tell, no ticks or chiggers. The mosquitoes were definitely there, but not enough to spoil a great day!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Funny, I was just up at the Delaware Water Gap today (needed a break from the flatlands :) ). What a beautiful area, definitely need to get up there more often. I walked through some underbrush and tall grass and from force of habit I cringed every time I did it. But as far as I can tell, no ticks or chiggers. The mosquitoes were definitely there, but not enough to spoil a great day!

Thanks, Boyd for a post that is not leaving me feeling itchy at my desk:) All that talk about chiggers, ugh! My wife and I went to the highlands area last fall (October), it was hard to believe we were still in NJ.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's exactly what I was thinking! I've only been in that area a couple times before, but on this trip I spent the day on some of the unpaved back roads near the river. During the span of about 5 hours I think I only passed 4 cars. It's spectacular, and there are some great houses and quaint little towns there which time seems to have totally passed by. Definitely worth a trip for anyone who hasn't been there.

Between the pine barrens and highlands New Jersey really has some remarkable places which the average person has probably never seen.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
There is a shift change around dusk.
Chiggers clock out and head for the bar and skeeters clock in.
Seems like the skeeters slack off around 11 pm and your home free after that.

The bar must of closed early last night. I was having a blast recording a couple of great horned owls near 2am, situated near the very small pond/bog about two miles east of Quaker Bridge on QBR, and got chigger-nailed. Nothing more telling than that warm, itchy feeling as the clump starts to burrow its way in. I'll be doing the itch dance for a week.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They're so bad now... I don't have many bites but I keep getting them and in really itchy place like between my toes and the sole of my foot. Today I re-treated my clothes with permethrin and made a connection... I have more bites on my left foot, and my left shoe has a hole in it!

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor

Our camp was just before the large rock slides & is part fo the recreation complex now. There was a trail east up onto a plateau and then up over the rocks. Allows you to see the fact that the ice stopped there...

Great place to hike as a kid...

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Was at the Deleware water gap about a month ago, we where short on time so we went up and down the same trail, I think it was the red one, the one that doesnt loop around, but goes straight up. What a climb.

Amazing views, we also met a guy on the summit who had just seen a few bears.:bear: