Asbury Park, 7/3/04

Myself, Red (from Barry's list), and our friend Kate went up to Asbury Park on Saturday to see Clarence "Big Man" Clemons and the Temple of Soul at the Stone Pony. We went up a bit early and poked around Asbury Park for a spell, got some good pictures. Kate took some pictures at the show that weren't developed yet (couple non-show ones as well), but I figured most of you'd be more interested in the Asbury Park pictures than pictures of La Bamba...

Anyway, the Palace isn't completely knocked down yet, just a portion of it (The Carousel House, the portion built in 1888). We could see where the Save Tillie Commission had cut out one of the Tillies, as well as where they are working on cutting out the bumper car girls. The Convention Hall was opened up, so we poked our heads in there as well. Asbury Park didn't seem too bad off, certainly not the "Camden of the Shore" that I'd been led to believe. The beach had quite a few people on it, although not nearly as many as a few miles down at Belmar. They were even hosting a pro-volleyball tournament while we were down there. Maybe it's just been doing well in its recovery.

Anyway, my pictures are up along with the usual story of the day: Asbury Park, July 3

Anyone looking to hear some great music, definately go check out either Clarence Clemons & the Temple of Soul or La Bamba's Big Band, both put on amazing shows!