Aserdaten and Black's Stone: Mysteries Solved!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You heard it here first! :)

I did a bit of research and found out the true story behind Aserdaten. The story is far less gruesome than the legend of the murder of Asa Dayton.

Secondly, Black's stone is a survey stone. The land all through that area was part of a survey done by William Black, who marked "W.B." on all of his surveyor's monuments. Just why this stone is marked T.B. we might not know. Maybe there were two brothers doing the survey? This means that there might be other stones marked the same way in the area. I am going to dig a little further and see if I can get some more information on that survey from the courthouse in Toms River.

So there you have it - two mysteries solved. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The stone says T. Black!!!!

Guy means Business, and you heard it here first!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I did not go to the rock to randomly write T. Black in chalk on it. I traced the charactors that were on the rock! No matter what the survey says the rock says T. Black on it.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I know the stone says T. I'm just saying that either Beck was wrong (no big surprise there) or that the guy - for one reason or another - carved a T instead of a W.

I wrote to the Lacey Historical Society to see if they have any info, as well as the Ocean County Courthouse. I might try to stop there next week and see if I can find the deed for the property which might have the surveyors name on it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
T could be a middle name that he always uses. I am willing to bet that most people with the name William would use a B for Bill, and the same with Robert and Bob.

Guy