Atlantic White Cedars in Muskee Headwaters

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Let me throw a little geometry into the conversation.
The measurements indicated in the original post state a DBH of 10'-4"
DBH is a forester's term for diameter breast height. The standard for breast height is 4'-6" above the ground.

Lest anyone think we have 10'+ diameter cedars in NJ, the pictures show a circumference being measured at 10'-4" (10.33')
Circumference is calculated using: pi x d So, if pi(d)=10.33' , solving for d we find that the diameter is 3.28' or 3'-3 3/8"
Certainly a large tree by any standard but the forester/surveyor in me cannot let erroneous terms fly around unchecked.
:)

Reactions: LARGO

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Let me throw a little geometry into the conversation.
The measurements indicated in the original post state a DBH of 10'-4"
DBH is a forester's term for diameter breast height. The standard for breast height is 4'-6" above the ground.

Lest anyone think we have 10'+ diameter cedars in NJ, the pictures show a circumference being measured at 10'-4" (10.33')
Circumference is calculated using: pi x d So, if pi(d)=10.33' , solving for d we find that the diameter is 3.28' or 3'-3 3/8"
Certainly a large tree by any standard but the forester/surveyor in me cannot let erroneous terms fly around unchecked.
:)

I just assumed she meant circumference when I read it 'cause they wrapped a tape around it. I like others probably don't have your keen knowledge of labeling of terms. Good call and correction sir. That diameter would make the Cedar worthy of redwood like Pines proportions.
Damned big tree anyhoo. We had some Oaks of that size on my Grandfathers farm but that is a whole other thing.
Lots of their lost limbs made good for the burnin' barrells but that's a whole 'nother thread.

g.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I have a few cedar swamps I go to in the winter and just sit and listen to the cedar's bump each other in the wind. Heaven!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
have you ever sat in a cedar swamp when it was close to 0 deg F ? The cedars pop as the trees freeze,sounds similar to a lake booming as the ice settles but not as loud.They pop and like you say they "talk" when they rub each other.

Reactions: Jason Howell