Atsion Mansion may get new life

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I saw a $1M line item for the 2006 State Budget appropriated to the Atsion Mansion and some other place. Whether or not it gets approved it another story.

The Atsion mansion certainly deserves to be restored and preserved.

It's a fine example of rural Greek Revival, and is pretty much what the Batsto mansion was before it was Whartonized.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Just as long as it doesn't lead to the paving of Quaker Bridge Rd and Washington-Batsto Rd.

Steve

I don't think they will let them do that because of enviromental concerns. Then again one never knows.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
I don't think they will let them do that because of enviromental concerns. Then again one never knows.

Guy

Why would it involve paving QB Road? There is a giant parking lot right behind the mansion that you can get to from 206, and QB road already gets a lot of traffic from the church.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do they have any type of yearly event there, like at Batsto, Chatsworth, and Whites Bogs? If not, they could raise money that way.

bruset said:
Why would it involve paving QB Road? There is a giant parking lot right behind the mansion that you can get to from 206, and QB road already gets a lot of traffic from the church.

Just being a pessimist. Just thinking the State would want to make it easy for their paying patrons to get from one venue to another. It would probably never happen unless they went whole hog and reconstructed Atsion and make it an attraction like Batsto.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't mind 'em paving Quaker Bridge road at all. I plan to buy a hot dog cart for Quaker Bridge and maybe convince Shell to put in a gas station too. In fact, I'll sell orchids and tiny bunches of curly-grass fern for women to put on their lapels.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BobM said:
I don't mind 'em paving Quaker Bridge road at all. I plan to buy a hot dog cart for Quaker Bridge and maybe convince Shell to put in a gas station too. In fact, I'll sell orchids and tiny bunches of curly-grass fern for women to put on their lapels.

I plan on renting metal detectors and field guides to find snakes and salamanders.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
I plan on renting metal detectors and field guides to find snakes and salamanders.

How about this: We build a hotel complex right on the Mullica where the wilderness campground is. The hotel will cater only to Geocachers and will hand out free tupperware containers and notebooks! We can buy some golf-cart type vehicles, give them all maps and a box-lunch and send them out to explore. It will be grand! For the whole fam damily!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hey, don't forget the balloon stand we could have at hawkins bridge! I just hope they wouldn't go flying away everywhere. Imagine if everywhere you went you found balloons, that would suck!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
Hey, don't forget the balloon stand we could have at hawkins bridge! I just hope they wouldn't go flying away everywhere. Imagine if everywhere you went you found balloons, that would suck!

Good one Jeff! Don't sell beer in brown bottles either, or silver cans. They might show up among the leaves too!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Boyd said:
Heh, I'm gonna sell maps of recent bigfoot sightings :)

Your sales could be enhanced if you could "find" and were to have on display an "authentic" piece of a bigfoot, say a hand for instance.

( Like the "Yeti hand" that the tibetan monks have )

G.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I saw the inside of the mansion about 5 years ago. It really is quite spectacular. Huge double doors that would open up much of the first floor and make one huge space for entertaining. Apparently Richards like to throw some extravagant parties in the pines. I recall that at least a few of the firebacks were marked from an iron works in Pennsylvania or Northern NJ. I believe it was Howell but I can't be sure. I really hope they move forward with the project as I would love to see it again.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
BobM said:
Do they have any type of yearly event there, like at Batsto, Chatsworth, and Whites Bogs? If not, they could raise money that way.
The Indian Mills Historical Society sponsored an Atsion Day flea market for years. I thought some of the money was intended to help with further restoration of the Mansion at Atsion. At first, the event was held in the field near the mansion, then across the street at the recreation area. A year or two ago the State began charging the group too much money for Park Ranger Security that the event was no longer profitable.