Atsion to Crowleys Landing

espies99

May 1, 2007
Hello, I am planning a trip for this weekend to kayak from Atsion to Crowleys landing, just wanted to see if I could get some info for the trip:

Aprox. how long will the trip take?
What are the river conditions?
Where is a good place to put in at Atsion?
Where is a good place to park both cars, I know Crowleys is one, is there a place at Atsion or is the Ranger station allowed?
How late can we leave the car at Crowleys? Do they have a gate that is locked after a certain time?

Thanks for everyones help

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
From the dam below Atsion lake, you can put in just down stream from the dam by going over the dam/bridge (heading south on route 206) and making an immediate left. follow that down past the houses, near the old furnace and there is load in spot there. You can park at the ranger station but I don't know about overnight.

At ideal water levels that trip would take approx. 6 to 9 hours. The vast majority of people make it a two day trip, even three days sometimes. Too high or low water conditions and time increases dramatically. You can contact the basto ranger station for camping permits.

Crowleys landing is suppose to close at dusk. You could call the Basto ranger station for more info on parking.

River conditions: How do you mean exactly? No whitewater to speak of but a fair amount of debre and the feeders and back water areas can make the main channel confusing at times. Be advised that you will be very far from civilazation at times. It is absolutely beautiful.

Also, the mullica river is tidal around Crowleys landing, you might want to check tide charts.

You can call one of the canoe liveries (like bel haven, adams, pinebarrens, micks) for info on water levels.

Have fun.

Jeff

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jeff makes a very wise suggestion about checking the tide charts.

If you plan on taking your time to really enjoy your surroundings and perhaps explore a little, you should make it a two-day trip. If you want to shorten the length of the trip by a few long miles, you can take out at the State-owned Pleasant Mills landing. You can leave your car overnight at your own risk. If you are going with a friend, you could even park your car at the Batsto visting center (the safer option) and hike the 2 miles back to your car while your friend stands guard over your boats. If you do decide to take out at Pleasant Mills, you can take your time on the river and still make it back in reasonale time before sundown. Happy trails.

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the site. If you are a fisherman,and someone correct if i am mistaken,but after at crowley's landing heading towards great bay,you no longer need a fresh water fishing license. Hope you have a great trip.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I concur with Pineland suggestions entirely. Taking the rivers at a easy pace is how they are meant to be enjoyed. It makes navigation easier as well.

Jimbo, that is a good point. I am not sure if they require a licence in brackish water. I wonder at what salinity level they require a licence. It is probably not that scientific, tidal areas are probably free.

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
License requirement

I have the 2007 fishing regulations in my desk. A license is not required down stream from Crowleys Landing and 7th Ave, Sweetwater.

Oct 25, 2006
I concur with Pineland suggestions entirely. Taking the rivers at a easy pace is how they are meant to be enjoyed. It makes navigation easier as well.

Jimbo, that is a good point. I am not sure if they require a licence in brackish water. I wonder at what salinity level they require a licence. It is probably not that scientific, tidal areas are probably free.

Jeff

That is my argument about having a license in philly,i live about a half a mile from the delaware,it is tidal not to far from trenton,but you need a license,past the delaware memorial bridge in delaware no license is required,the bridge is what is considered the brackish water line,a couple of times during drought, the salt water line actually came to my neighborhood,people were catching blue claw crabs and some fluke up to 3 miles north on the delaware from where i live around the betsy ross bridge.But the pa.fish commission book says no license is required in tidal waters,i guess they figured the revenue that would be lost.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is my argument about having a license in philly,i live about a half a mile from the delaware,it is tidal not to far from trenton,but you need a license,past the delaware memorial bridge in delaware no license is required,the bridge is what is considered the brackish water line,a couple of times during drought, the salt water line actually came to my neighborhood,people were catching blue claw crabs and some fluke up to 3 miles north on the delaware from where i live around the betsy ross bridge.But the pa.fish commission book says no license is required in tidal waters,i guess they figured the revenue that would be lost.

I didn't know that. I fished the Delaware all the way up by the rancocas and I was with people who didn't have a license. I figured you didn't need one there, and it was definitely tidal.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
Jeff,there is also on the books a agreement between new jersey and pa.on the delaware,stating that a person who has a fishing license,let's say you for examle,can fish on the pa.side of the river,with your n.j. license, as long as you are not near a creek or another river inlet to the delaware,and likewise that applies to me on the n.j. side,i do not know the distance you have to be from the creeks though!!!!