ATV rider plunges under ice in central New Jersey

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Down here, somebody drove a snowplow around Maple Lake when it was really cold last week. Then some clowns took a sofa and put it out in the middle of the ice. Drove past today and that sofa had sunk halfway through the ice. Should make a nice obstacle for the fishermen in the spring.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unfortunate & easily avoidable; maybe he should have been riding one of these. Around here the authorities had stepped up warnings about the river and bay ice, but you still see folks on it.

http://www.gibbssports.com/quadski

ice_thickness_lrg.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
For me there is only a northern and southern NJ, never heard of central. Southern gets Phila news and northern gets NY. How would you define central NJ? What would be it's identity?

Reactions: MikeBickerson

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There are really 4 regions :eek: Maybe more, like east and west. I like things simple; central has always been south of I80 and north of I195

new-jersey-regions-map-bestofnjdotcom.jpg

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
When I was a kid living in Vermont. It was common to drive your vehicle on the ice when you went ice fishing by mid-winter.

I never trust South Jersey ice for anything.

For me there is only a northern and southern NJ, never heard of central. Southern gets Phila news and northern gets NY. How would you define central NJ? What would be it's identity?

I feel the same also, just a north and a south. 195 being the dividing line. When I hear central, I think 195 to the Raritan River.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
In my book, if it takes you longer than 15 minutes by car to get to a bridge, bay, or the ocean. You are no longer at the Shore.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
to me south jersey is monmouth and burlington counties south anything north is north.central jersey is really a figment of a cartographers imagination.basically outer and inner coastal plain is south jersey.Once you start getting into large rocks and strata on the surface you are no longer in south jersey.Rocks too big to pick up and throw are a real rarity down here..