ATVs

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
Does anybody know what places are really good to go riding with your Quads in the Barrens? We are getting another Quad and live right on the woods and go riding in Asarco but we are looking for other places to go exploring without trespassing. Any suggestions?

Genie

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Genie,
Quads are not allowed on State Land (State Forests, Wildlife Management Areas, etc.). Only LICENSED vehicles are allowed on State Land. So I really don't know where you can ride without having to ask permission first.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
It's too bad that only licensed vehicles are allowed on forest service land. East Forked River Mountain, which can be accessed via a dirt road off of Lacey Road on the outskirts of Forked River, would be a great place for an ATV. There are sand trails from the mountain that are wide enough for an ATV. If an ATV club regularly uses East Forked River Mountain, members could keep an eye out for those who trash the place out (see the later posts on MY FIRST PINE BARREN EXPERIENCES). Maybe an exception could be made for responsible people who would help monitor the area to keep the riff raff from destroying the place.

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Jeff,

Sending ATV's to Forked River Mountain is a bad idea. The mountain is actually owned by a construction company. On the northeast side of the mountain there is a slight spring of water seeping out of the mountain that collects in a wet spot at the base. Pine Barren Tree frogs have been heard in this area. That part of the mountain could not stand repeated assaults from wild and crazy guys trying to reach the top the hard way. It would not be long before erosion would start to eat at the hill.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Bob is correct. In addition to the private property, the various public and private organizations that have bought much of the tract all prohibit ATV on their land. I can't cay that I'm too in favor of them either. I have ridden them and they are fun, but not to anyone else that may be in the woods at the time. And they have the potential to be used in a way that is very destructive to the environment. Much of the past use of that area has been from people from the norther part of the state and even from Pennsy and NY. It seems word was gotten out via some off-road magazines about the tract and it became very popular. These people have little stake in our local environment and the whole thing became a mess. Luckily the local municipalities and the state have cracked down on the illegal use recently. With the exception of one local landowner that seems to give permission very frely, the tract is experiencing has much of this problem as it once was.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
I just hope the state and local authorities are successful in stopping people from trashing out the mountain. I agree, that an ATV or dirt bike can be annoying when you are trying to enjoy yourself hiking. The Christmas before last I was enoying the peace and quiet walking along a greenbelt and into a woodlot on the light snow covered day in my neighnorhood when a noisy dirt bike passed near me. Not only did the yo-yo just pass me, he circled around in a loop, joy riding. He seemed bewildered at my less than friendly greeting towards him. Actually is wasn't a greeting at all. The rider seemed to want to greet me but I looked away with an annoyed look on my face. There's a place for dirt bikes and for ATV's. We just need have places exclusively for walking and for activities not compatible with a nature walk.

I just thought it would be a good idea if people, like a representative from the Pine Barrens enthusiasts like Genie, could ride in Forked River mountains by permission and would not ride where it's wet or where there could be other damage and could patrol the area for vandals. The law enforcement rangers in the park service in Pennsyvania use ATV's to patrol and protect the environment from barbarians.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I think one good answer is more places like the ATV park outside of Chatsworth. Take an old gravel pit that was abandoned before the restoration laws were established and set it aside just for them. It is not the type of sensitive environment that will be harmed, and the terrain of the old pits will most likely be more fun to ride on anyway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today in the Courier Post there is a good article on ATV's, where to ride them, the complaint's about them, their good points, and their environmental impact. You can read it online at the below link .I would recommend doing it as soon as possible. I believe after tomorrow you will have to pay to view it. I will cache it in my computer so if they start charging I will have it.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m040702a.htm

Note: It is now here.

http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/april/m040702a.htm

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
My biggest problem with ATVs and dirt bikes is the damage they do, especially when operated by irresposible riders. A road with a slope can be seriously eroded when it rains, after it is torn up by an ATV. Trucks can do the same damage. Some of the roads up Apple Pie Hill are BADLY eroded. There is one place you can see from the top where they had to dump telephone poles and/or big rocks to halt the erosion. I can't remember if that was a former road or not. One of the dirt roads in the woods a couple miles from here is seriously messed up from dirt bikes and ATVs. The curves are built up a few feet high and the straightaways are really strange. You go over a high spot, then a hole, then a high spot, then a hole and so on, and so on. It's ubelievable. Imagine a mouse, or something smaller, walking across a piece of corrogated metal. That's how it is. Without the high clearance of a 4X4 vehicle you couldn't drive on that road. In fact I had to stop and let a couple ATVs find a way around me while I was on it. This was a couple weeks ago. The thing I notice about the typical ATV riders I see, is that they are only riding for the sake of riding. They could care less about the place where they are riding. I think the best way to explore in the Pines is to drive on roads as close as you can and then explore the rest on foot.
Come to think of it, while Mike Launay and his family and I were exploring a house site in Calico a couple months ago a couple dirt bikes went by. Things were nice and quiet and peaceful up till that point.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Wow! They sure didn't waste any time archiving the article, Guy! I clicked on it just now, 10:45 am. and it was already sent to the morgue!

You have the right idea, German, to find a place where ATV's won't damage an area and won't mess things up for the rest of us. That's what the Pennsylvania State Park system did for mountain bikes. They found areas, such as old railroad beds which were gravel laden, where they couldn't damage the area. All unpaved roads in the park where I worked were off limits to them. Unfortunately, people didn't follow the rules and the law enforcement people couldn't keep up with the violators. In general, things like bikes and ATV's do most damage to wet areas. Mountain bikes tore up many areas in the soggy, floodplain areas in the park, making hiking more difficult. They even rode through wetlands. The park had put in gravel trails when it opened a few decades ago, but they weren't maintained and after time the gravel didn't protect the soil.

It really is a problem, Barry, when ATV's create erosion problems on roads which people, especially those who have regular cars, use to access an area, such as Apple Pie Hill, from which they begin a hike. I think any area in the Pine Barrens that could be deteriorated by ATV's which are a route to get to a hiking trail, such as the Batona, should be off limits to ATV's. There are lots of dry sandy roads in the Pine Barrens where ATV's would be out of the way and where damage would be minimal.

One more fleeting comment about the Forked River Mountains area. I don't know the area well, but it seems that the sand road I mentioned where a car could get stuck might be OK for an ATV. I don't know if there are any sensitive areas beyond that sandy road, or if there is a route, a dry high road where drainage is good. If there is a route where ATV's could do no damage, maybe responsible people could be authorized by the State Forest Service to patrol though the area with radios. The road I took from Lacey Road didn't seem to sensitive, except for one spot, where there was a puddle and there was a hidden hole. Fortunately I was had slowed down to about 5 mph. I bottomed out but there was no damage. Maybe this rut was caused by an ATV. I don't know.

The competing interests in the Pine Barrens need to be balanced. However, access to public lands for hiking on a designated hiking trail needs to carry a lot of weight. If, and only if an area won't be damaged should ATV riding be allowed.

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
Oh My. What a discussion, but it has opened my eyes. Yes, I do see all the ramifications of using an ATV properly and where one should be riding. So the best bet would to make sure you are licensed and registered and then find the ORV Park in which to ride. I wouldn't want to be known as an Outlaw, now would I? Thank you for the site for the Park in Chatsworth. Some of our friends our age (not telling) do have older teenagers that they can be with to enjoy the recreational sport. Thanks for all the information,
Genie

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Genie,
If you are interested in the ORV park in Chatsworth, we have brochures at our park. You can stop by Wells Mills County Park for one, phone us at (609)971-3805 or e-mail me at GGeorgieff@co.ocean.nj.us with your address and I will be happy to send one out to you send one out to you.

German